Do Goldfish Play?

littlefishyboy

After learning so much about how you can train goldfish with food rewards, and accosiating tricks with food, I've been wondering...do goldfish sometimes just roll stuff around the tank or swim through hoops just for fun? Or do they just do it if there is a food reward at stake?

Guest nasturtium

I'd also like to know if goldfish 'play'. My one female common used to roll those little plastic fish ornaments around. maybe she was getting ready to lay eggs or something. also do goldfish play with each other? (not mating). I have a male common and another common in a tank, I'm not sure of its sex, I've only had it about 2 months. Its name is Butthead. Butthead is endlessly chasing the male around the tank, the male doesn't seem to mind really but he never chases Butthead but he sometimes nudges him/her- i thought during spawning the male chases the female, i mean i have watched the mating thing - before with this male and a female (who is no longer with us).

:yeah:

I think fish play in a way many other animals (including humans) play: practicing social interaction that is beneficial either to the particular fish or species.

In the case of my goldfish though, I think they roll the marbles around to see if there's food hiding underneath. :D

Also,do they become more responsive with age?I've heard so many stories about goldfish going nuts at the appearence of their owner,begging for food,but mine don't seem to notice if I walk by. Is it because theyre still young?

i know some of my fish use to do stuff like play in the bubbles from my bubble disk... so i think they do play.

but to answer your other question, i guess it depends on how you feed them. some people interact with their goldfish more than others. we have quite a few members here who can handfeed their goldies. i however am usually in so much of a rush, that after presoaking, i just feed them and watch them for a little bit then have to scamper off to finish work. but one thing i tend to do is i talk to my goldies when i feed them, and i also feed them pro-gold (which happens to be in a silver baggie) so i think they recognize the silver baggie and perhaps my voice. they usually know when the tank lid is being opened it's feeding time. i'm not sure if they necessarily know that it's me. :)

it takes time for them to get to know you though, just like it takes time to get to know the personality of your goldie. :heart

Guest urbanangel85

i think they do play.maybe not in the sense we do but they definately play.my white cloud mountain minnows do it the most. the 2biggest males are like a double act.they chase each other around this one particular plant,then with one on either side they up root it! :rofl its so funny to watch,if not a lil annoying cos iand one of the females loves to sit on top of the filter,tucked away at the back.woe and behold anyone who trys to move her.if someone does get there first she will just sit on them!they soon move :D .its strange cos shes a real timid one ,unless your in her seat that is! i feed my fish twice a day.as soon as i've opened the lid i ring my lil bell over the tank to let them know its dinner time.the older ones come straight away now,infact the goldie (my gold common) (goldies not her name,she just gets called that as i havent named them yet,im too paranoid,wanna wait a month or so) sometimes is there before i even rung the bell cos she see the lid being opened. but once the bells been rung she splashes around at the surface,its so cute.so anyway , i think all fish play in there own lil ways. xxx

they probably have their own kind of play that we don't necessarily think is really playing. my Blackie loves to move the river rocks around, probably trying to find food...but he seems to get a kick out of flipping the rocks around. so i'd like to think it's food hunting w/ a twist of fun :D

Whenever I watch my goldfish I haven't really noticed them play the odd time they'll nudge each other or something. They seem to like to travel together though its kinda cute :) They definately know when its feeding time though, they've gotten used to the noise the aquarium lid makes when I open and close it. Like other people said before I'm sure they do play in ways we might not understand :)

Also,do they become more responsive with age?I've heard so many stories about goldfish going nuts at the appearence of their owner,begging for food,but mine don't seem to notice if I walk by. Is it because theyre still young?

I have two very young little ones and they get incredibly excited when I walk in the room. One does a W shaped wiggle up and down the glass and the other just wiggles all over the place. I think in my case, b/c they are in my bedroom and there isnt that much 'human traffic' in there (AHEM!) its a bit of a novelty to see someone and they know that people=food. I think like all other animals too there are some that are just more interactive with human beings than others.

My little black moor Boggles likes to play around in the bubble wall. I put one of the bendable bubble curtains in the tank yesterday and he likes that one more than the last one. He'll chase the bubbles, try to eat them, and will pick at the gravel where the curtain is buried. It's as though he's trying to figure out where the bubbles are coming from. Since it's arranged in a circle, he will sometimes try to sit in the circle surrounded by the bubble curtain.

Fred Jr., my big calico oranda, doesn't play in them as much but he does like to ride the bubbles to the surface, swim away, root around in the gravel a bit, and then go back to the bubble wall and do it all again.

My goldfish are playing tricks with me. Every day I look at my tank, the plastic plants are in a different part of the tank. I'm pretty sure it's not the filter pushing them around (b/c it's a barebottom) and I'll see the goldfish from time to time picking at the plants, but I'll come home every night and BAM, different spot.

And the three guys sitting right behind it, peeking at me between the leaves.

I wonder if it's like a "Where's Waldo" everyday with them, except it's "Where's the Lily!"

my goldfish never ever played with the airstone bubbles, none of them. i used to have 2 fake plants in the tub, and i dont think the fish really cared much about them. took them out though since we got 2 bubble eyes(one of the bubble eyes sacks popped. not sure how because we took the plants out before putting them in, but now the wound is black. i'm guessing thats really really bad) and so the tank has nothing in it except a home made filter. no rocks, no pebbles, nothing. maybe i should put something in there, though i dont really want the bubble eyes to hurt themselves, though i guess they have each other to play with, theres 5 fish in the tub.

After learning so much about how you can train goldfish with food rewards, and accosiating tricks with food, I've been wondering...do goldfish sometimes just roll stuff around the tank or swim through hoops just for fun? Or do they just do it if there is a food reward at stake?

You have asked a loaded question- they will go far beyond that- all they need is the assurance that you will never harm them and they will do amazing things. this is my video location of my Oranda "playing" with me;

I kid you not- and this can go on for hours- this was never forced- it simply happened one day whgen he started to come up against my hand in the tank and proceeded to do high intensity viobrations- now seen as some form of affection and acceptance. He is Punch.

Eric

my goldfish never ever played with the airstone bubbles, none of them. i used to have 2 fake plants in the tub, and i dont think the fish really cared much about them. took them out though since we got 2 bubble eyes(one of the bubble eyes sacks popped. not sure how because we took the plants out before putting them in, but now the wound is black. i'm guessing thats really really bad) and so the tank has nothing in it except a home made filter. no rocks, no pebbles, nothing. maybe i should put something in there, though i dont really want the bubble eyes to hurt themselves, though i guess they have each other to play with, theres 5 fish in the tub.

You have them in a tub???

i know some of my fish use to do stuff like play in the bubbles from my bubble disk... so i think they do play.

but to answer your other question, i guess it depends on how you feed them. some people interact with their goldfish more than others. we have quite a few members here who can handfeed their goldies. i however am usually in so much of a rush, that after presoaking, i just feed them and watch them for a little bit then have to scamper off to finish work. but one thing i tend to do is i talk to my goldies when i feed them, and i also feed them pro-gold (which happens to be in a silver baggie) so i think they recognize the silver baggie and perhaps my voice. they usually know when the tank lid is being opened it's feeding time. i'm not sure if they necessarily know that it's me. :)

it takes time for them to get to know you though, just like it takes time to get to know the personality of your goldie. :heart

YES so true about the bubbles - and YES they know you - they know you by sight- Mine will only play with me and not my other half- hoiwever our play is a little more advanced - you may enjoy seeing it

Eric

ya, i have them in a 110 gallon stock tank, which is just a big tub.

you should watch out about that much contact, you can rub off the protective slime coat pretty quickly like that and the fish will can get parasites and whatnot alot faster and easier.

ya, i have them in a 110 gallon stock tank, which is just a big tub.

you should watch out about that much contact, you can rub off the protective slime coat pretty quickly like that and the fish will can get parasites and whatnot alot faster and easier.

That is an important point that I keep myself aware of. fortunately; his coat is actuially ratrher thick and i keep odff the pressure, especially when running my finger down the sensory nodes on the sides. . I was also actually planniong on getting a uv light for the hands and such- because he is always battling the other fish (reflection) to save the world and always gets some sort of battle damage no matter how much kid proof you do. He is pretty fearless for being his size lol

I think fish play in a way many other animals (including humans) play: practicing social interaction that is beneficial either to the particular fish or species.

In the case of my goldfish though, I think they roll the marbles around to see if there's food hiding underneath. :D

Yes- in my case I may have a little mopre interaction with my "punch" than others- but we also chase each other around the tank- - especially when i play with his tail - so I do believe it is part interaction and communication- and truly part funtimne as an exercise:

Eric

• 4 weeks later...

Of course they play... :D If I start typing the stuff they do, I'll be typing for a long time...lol

ad this while you are tyuping - and you are right - they play

I know this is an old post or thread, but I must say, I am new to this site, and I wanted to thank you for sharing that video! I knew goldfish could be like puppies! That is why I bought my oranda! They have personality, even though their head can look a little disgusting sometimes. My Ryukin just go and knock the snails around for fun. That is really all I see them do as far as fun goes. They just push them and roll them around.

Archived