Filling Large Tanks

Guest Maverynthia

Guest Maverynthia

I've been thinking about buying a 55 gallon tank for my fish since they are currently in a small tank ;.; However I live in an apartment so I don't have access to a water tap, I was wondering what other people use to fill up their large tanks with. Are there things that they sell that hook up to a bath tub spout or a kitchen tap?

yep... there are many different pythons you can purchase that you can connect to your kitchen tap, or you can make your own. i know some people in houses just use stuff like garden hoses, but you have to be careful about the material your hose is made of.

i think your best bet would be a python. :) let us know if you find something that works! you'll definitely love a 55 gal. :D

i know some people in houses just use stuff like garden hoses, but you have to be careful about the material your hose is made of.

What do you have to watch for if you decide to use a garden hose?

I'm about to go through the same situation as Maver (yay big tanks!).

I made a hose that is adapted to my shower pipe, for filling the Brute trash cans I age my water in. I got the brass fittings at Lowe's and use a clear, vinyl hose. I just inscrew the shower head and screw on the hose. No leaks. I also use a long vinyl hose for draining aquarium water via a submersible pump, out my window during a water change - purchased in Lowe's Lawn & Garden [pond] section. I just drop the pump in the tank, guide the hose out the window and plug 'er in.

I made a hose that is adapted to my shower pipe, for filling the Brute trash cans I age my water in. I got the brass fittings at Lowe's and use a clear, vinyl hose. I just inscrew the shower head and screw on the hose. No leaks. I also use a long vinyl hose for draining aquarium water via a submersible pump, out my window during a water change - purchased in Lowe's Lawn & Garden [pond] section. I just drop the pump in the tank, guide the hose out the window and plug 'er in.

Out thee window? where those water ganna go?

i know some people in houses just use stuff like garden hoses, but you have to be careful about the material your hose is made of.

What do you have to watch for if you decide to use a garden hose?

I'm about to go through the same situation as Maver (yay big tanks!).

i don't remember exactly, but there are some materials in garden hoses that can be harmful for aquarium fish since they are not meant to be used for filling aquariums. i'll see if i can find that old thread about it. :)

I just got one at vvvv. They are about 40.00 and you can get hose extensions if you want it longer. I love it, it's well worth the money. Water changes are so easy and take no time at all. I've had fish tanks for about 15 years and never wanted to spend the money. Now I can't believe I didn't buy one sooner.

to fill my 55, i draged our garden hose thru the house to the tank.

This is the product called Python. You can drain and fill, both function, with this product. You can connect it to your kitchen tap easily..

i bought one of those, but it wasnt long enough so i had to take it back. do you know if the make them in 40 feet?

I just got one at vvvv. They are about 40.00 and you can get hose extensions if you want it longer.

Prices will vary depending on where you live.

25' Python $40.00

50' Python $75.00

20' extensions $25.00

I also use a long vinyl hose for draining aquarium water via a submersible pump, out my window during a water change -

I've done the same thing. But I didn't use a submersible pump. Once the water started flowing gravity sucks the water out in no time. If you get 5/8 vinyl hose form a home improvement store get the one with the larger outer diameter it's thicker and won't calaps in on it's self and restrict water flow. If you use a submersible pump you won't have that problem with the thin hose because the waters being pushed through the hose. But you will if you let gravity do the work.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Maverynthia

Does anybody know about the faucet adaptor? I bought one and it wouldn't work with my faucets nor my shower since the kitchen I can't get the faucet thing off, in the bathroom, the threads are up in the spout and my shower the threads were different. I'm just wondering if that thing solves this problem or do I have to jury rig it?

Guest Maverynthia

Does anybody know about the faucet adaptor? I bought one and it wouldn't work with my faucets nor my shower since the kitchen I can't get the faucet thing off, in the bathroom, the threads are up in the spout and my shower the threads were different. I'm just wondering if that thing solves this problem or do I have to jury rig it?

I finally managed to get the tap thing off the kitchen sink, now I need the metal adapter since the plastic one sucks so much :(

But the fishies are now in their new 55 gallon... :D

Archived