Adding Extra Sponge Filter

Rockstar

I was thinking of placing my elite mini filter to the top portion of my 12gal Eclipse to add extra filtration, create more beneficial bacteria, and take care of anything that floats to the top. Are there any disadvantages to doing this? My nitrites are at about 5.0 (4-5week into the cycle) right now, which I understand is normal... but my ammonia and nitrates are very low... does this mean there isn't enough beneficial bacteria established. Will adding nitra-zorb help or is in unnessecary.

You appear to be in the middle of developing the cycle on the tank. Having low ammonia and high nitrItes is a sign of this. The beneficial bacteria develop in a regular pattern. The type that processes the ammonia will appear first - processing the ammonia into nitrIte. After a time, the second type of beneficial bacteria that processes the nitrIte into nitrAte will start to grow. They tend to be a bit more finicky and stubborn, but they will grow also.

When your ammonia drops and the nitrite raises, it just means that you have a nice population of the first type of bacteria colonizing your tank. When the second type get going, the nitrites will drop and the nitrates will rise.

I am assuming this is a fishless cycle - for a reading of 5ppm nitrItes is deadly in a fairly short time to fish - and can seriously injure a fish for life it if manages to survive.

In an Eclipse, it is not hard to add extra media to the system - simply bag up some sintered glass or ceramic noodles and place them on top of the cartridge in the trough on top of the tank. You can cut a sponge to fit there, also. The water, running through them will be processed well and they are great platforms for the beneficial bacteria. These can be squeezed or swished clean easily during servicing.

Most Eclipse tanks do not have a place for you to hang another filter. An internal filter will take up valuable water volume that would be better served as water for the fish.....

I would not add nitrazorb or anything of that nature to the tank. If the nitrItes are absorbed or bound in a way that the bacteria cannot access it, your cycle will stall and stop. If you have fish in the tank, you will need to do dramatic water changes to keep the nitrites at or below 0.5ppm during cycling. Adding in aquarium salt to the concentratil of 0.1% (1 T per 5 gallons approx.) will help the fish deal with nitrites in the water......

Thanks so much for the advice. Unfortunately, my ryukin is in this tank. My ammonia is at .05 nitrites are 2.0 and nitrate is 5.0... pH is 6.8 (i treated with 6ml of ph up after that test) so I am guessing I am gaining the second bacteria. I am going to do a 30%+ water change now and remove some gravel, as I think I have a bit much (around 3in.). I believe I have room to add the filter as it's small and suctions to the inside of the tank... I am going to wait until I am cycled to add it.

Archived