New Betta!

Zelanie

I have a thread that's now in the "tanks" section, but since this is starting to be more about the fish itself, I thought I'd post it here. I'm still a bit nervous about his health since I've lost fish in the past due to cluelessness.

I got a betta for my primary classroom this week, and so far he's doing well. He's just a pet store "mutt", I think, but he is adorable- a mostly white body with red and blue spots, plus red and blue spotted fins. I really liked the coloring, and also the fact that he was pretty alert and active in his little cup.

He's in a 2.5 gallon tank, with a too-strong filter and too-big heater, unfortunately. Right now, I have the filter unplugged but still in the tank, so that at least the media is in the water. Once he's been in there a week or so and knows all the hiding places (I think he's found them all already- in the plastic plant, behind the filter, on top of the filter (in 1" of water, hehe), etc.), I think I'll put the whole filter in a stocking and turn it on again and see if he can handle it. There really wasn't much current, but the suction on the intake made him look uncomfortable when I first put him in with the uncovered filter. He stayed in the far corner until I turned it off.

I had bought the smallest heater that my LFS sold- 22W. When I first set the tank up, but before I got the betta, it held the temperature steady at 78. When I moved the thermometer closer, though (the day I put the betta in), it went up quickly to 84 and I turned it off. Unfortunately, we had a cold spell this week. When I got to work on Tuesday, the (unheated) temp was 60 and he was looking sluggish. I turned the heater on but kept the light off, but by mid-afternoon the heat was 85 again. It's been off since then, but luckily it hasn't been as cold. I got a mini-heater from the other LFS, which I will put in tomorrow and should solve that.

I hope the huge temp fluctuations (25 degrees in one day! ack!) haven't stressed him too much. He seems active and nothing appers abmormal on him. His dorsal fin hasn't been up since I got him, but none of his other fins are clamped.

He eats like a champ. I've read that some bettas are picky eaters, but not this guy. :rofl I have the Hikari mini pellets, and he acts like he would just eat them all day if I let him (which I don't). In fact, I was even able to hand-feed him already today. :D

He's not scared at all of things at the top of the tank. I think he thinks that everything up there is FOOD. I can stick my whole hand in the tank and he's more interested then scared. But, the slightest thing at the side of the tank sets him off. A pinkie finger against the glass? OMG hide in the corner quick! :rolleyes: I think that this is his reaction probably comes from being a pet store betta, because he was surrounded by cups and cups full of male bettas in the store. So, the sides have always been the direction that he's needed to be careful about. Hopefully that will settle down over time.

Anyway, he's already such a character. I hope this turns out to be a good and healthy environment for him. :goodluck

If you are using the elite mini filter (comes with the marine land 2.5 mini mini bowfront) I would consider keeping it filterless. I have tried keeping 2 different bettas in the same setup and both of them did fine at first, then eventually they'd get worn out from swimming against the current and end up stuck to the bottom of the filter, and this is with hose and the intake on the filter was the weakest I could get it where it would actually create suction. I keep a betta in the filterless 2.5gal and he loves the extra swimming room. The tank is heated and he has a fake plant he rests on from time to time. The tank is barebottom right now, it is much easier to keep clean. My bettas love the hikari bio-gold pellets... for fish that live on there own they eat it like there's a starving mob behind them ready to gobble up there food if they don't eat it fast enough. They won't touch anything else when it comes to pellet food. I'd also suggest feeding him some freeze-dried bloodworms, brine shrimp, or daphnia from time to time.

I know they are funny little characters aren't they. My Zeke does the same thing when I turn on the light on the top of his tank in the morning. He s swims over to where I put his food in and is like " O.k. Mom the light is on where is the food?"Also when I get home form work at night he sees me coming in the door and swims over to where I feed him and is like " O.k. Mom take off you coat and feed me now!" :rofl

Thanks for the filter tip Lovedah2o on the minibow 2.5 gallons. I found someone on Craigslist who has one with all the goodies, water treatments, food, pebbles, decor,plants, extra light bulb,filter,and extra filter cartridges for $20. I am just waiting to get paid this friday to get it from them. So I will try leaving the filter off when I get it set up untill I see if he can handle the flow. Right now he is in a 1 gallon , underground filter with air pump and airstone ( it is inclosed in a tube that bubbles out the top), plant , marbles and seems to do well with the flow.

here is a pic of what I get

P1010196.jpg

Archived