Sign in to follow this  
Guest elises

Goldfish Curved, Head & Tail Down, On Side

Guest elises

Please help Molly. She is a three year old common goldfish. She lives in what I now realize is an overcrowded tank -- thanks to the local pet store. Needless to say, I feel terrible about this now, didn't know we were hurting the poor girl -- Molly is 3-4 inches long, in a ten gallon aquarium with a small tetra, two guppies, and a cory cat.

There is a whisper filter with bio-bag carbon.

Our ammonia level is at .25

Nitrite level is at zero.

She eats tetramin tropical flakes, or nutrafin max goldfish flake food.

Last water change was 5 days ago.

This evening she suddenly was laying on the bottom of the tank, on her side but curved downwards -- at aabout a 70 degree angle. Her side is up, and head and tail are down. I thought she was dead and was hurrying to get her into the toilet, but saw a gill move when I put her in and scooped her out again immediately and put her in an isolation bucket of about a quart in size. I've added 1/4 t. of aquarium salt, a cap of cycle, and a few drops of aqua plus which seemed to perk her up a bit -- some fin movement, but nothing else.

We really love her, especially her funny personality -- the kids think she's constantly rearranging the furniture as she picks up gravel and moves it.

Please help!

--Elise

Guest elises

Sorry -- just realized that I left out some answers to the boxed questions:

I don't know the Nitrate level, or Ph Levels -- will go to a reccomended pet store tomorrow a.m. and try to find out.

Tank: 10 gallon, running for 4 years and some change.

I've been changing the water every two weeks, usually about a third replaced each time.

At each water change I add a cap of aqua plus and a cap of cycle.

No meds in the tank.

No new fish.

Nothing unusual about appearance and behavior except that she is curved and not moving.

When I did the last change 5 days ago, I did manage to drop the light into the tank, and grabbed it and pulled it back out immediately. It was on at the time. Could this be electrocution?

I haven't been pre-soaking her food.

That's all I know as of now.

Thanks again!

so sorry to hear about your fish. I am not in any way an expert, but my fish recently died from what I would describe as looking bend around her tail end. I still dont know what it was, but have read that electricution can cause this. Are all your heaters, filters etc safe? Mine seemed to be, and none of my other fish carried any of the symtoms. I doubt if this is the case with yours, but I just want to offer my sympathy and support. Also curse the pet stores who constantly think its acceptable to overstock a tank!

I am sure someone here will give you further advise, if you are continuing to keep him serparate, you must change the water constantly, a bucket without filtration wont be doing him much good.

Best of luck. Hope he pulls through.

Sorry I have been calling your fish a he, and you say shes a she. Hope she makes it!

Im sorry but once a fish arcs like that then its dying. Im afraid theres nothing else you can do for her.

Guest elises

Im sorry but once a fish arcs like that then its dying. Im afraid theres nothing else you can do for her.

Thank you so much for your suppport -- you are correct, and this morning she is no longer with us. I do think that I will take her to the pet store and have the water analyzed to try and figure out what happened.

You have a wonderful resource here -- thanks for the information.

Elise

Our ammonia level is at .25

hi, just a thought, this ammonia level indicates that your tank is not 'cycled' (a build up of 'good' bacteria in the filter should be using up all ammonia and turning it into nitrites and then finally nitrates, which is the safest for your fish.)

Since your tank has been running so long it would have lots of bacteria in theory, but the problem may be that perhaps you were washing your filter under the tap sometimes?? or bought new filter material and replaced the old. both of these will result in a sudden loss of beneficial bacteria, which can then lead to increased watse levels (ammonia) in your tank, which can be very damaging for fish.

In anycase, i just thought that an ammonia reading in a tank that has been set up for four years was quite unexpected, and could have had an adverse effect on your goldfish (not necessarily causing the death, but could have been a contributing factor to the overall illness)

Hope this helps.

So sorry to hear that you lost Molly :rip::heart

Edited by katmad

Thank you so much for your suppport -- you are correct, and this morning she is no longer with us. I do think that I will take her to the pet store and have the water analyzed to try and figure out what happened.

You have a wonderful resource here -- thanks for the information.

Elise

Aww im sorry to hear that Elise. The same thing happened to my very first goldfish when I was 11 and it was heartbreaking to watch.

Edited by yazooo