Plants And Meds

sea

Would plants, specifically wisteria and amazon sword, be ok iif I need to salt my tank to 0.3%? Would they be ok with Parasite Clear? If not what would you do with the plants - would they need to be in something else with gravel or is floating in a bucket ok?

Thanks, sea

Thanks Touchofsky - I kinda figured that would be the answer :(

So my next question about my plants is - if I take them out of the tank during the 0.3% salt treatment and put them back in when it is over would I run the risk of reintroducing whatever nasty is in the tank now back into the tank? I guess what I am asking is if the parasites could live on the plant whenthere are no fish around? If so is my only option to forget about these plants and get new ones when all this is over?

I am not 100% sure but our best guess is Costia (actually it is JenW's guess as I am clueless :D ). There is a long thread in the disease/diag section about it.

I would take them out of the tank and treat them in a separate container. First I would give them a potassium permanganate using Jungle's Clear Water, which is a dilute pp preparation. Also, I would treat with parasite clear. At the same time, I would raise the temperature to 30 c. (86 f.). Costia cannot survive over 86 f. Also, it will speed up the life cycle of costia. The life cycle will be approx. 12 hours at 26 c. (79 f.).

Do not use these treatments for the fish, since they may have suffered gill damage and the high temperatures or pp treatment would be very hard on them.

Thanks - that's good info.

I will remove the plants to a bucket and add the PC while I take care of my sick fish. So far I have not been about to find the Clear Water at any of the 3 big lfs nearby but I'll keep looking or get it online.

The gf tank temp is low these days - only about 72F and I do not have a heater. Do you know what the life cycle of costia is at this temp? For the gf, I was going to add salt to 0.3% and maybe add PC as well - would this work if the temp is this low?

The life cycle will take a couple of days at 72 f. It is 6 days at 40 f., so I would think it would be 2-3 days at 72 f.

Yes, the salt and the Parasite Clear will work at the lower temperatures, but I would treat for a minimum of 14 days, and do a good gravel vac.

You could look for Clear Water at W*l-Mart. I have seen it there. I would leave the plants in the bucket with the treatment for the 14 days, as well.

OK, the plants are in a bucket with PC and I am off to look for the ClearWater again.

Can you please help me with one more question - the salt in my tank is at 0.2 on the way to 0.3 tonight BUT I have the carbon in. Is that ok? I put it in to remove any additional Maracyn1, 2 in the water as well as to clear up the fogginess that the meds caused. I'll remove it again if/when I add PC to the tank but can you please confirm that it won't remove the salt? Thanks.

Hi Touchofsky - I hope you are around as I am totally confused :unsure: . I looked all over for Jungle Clear Water to no avail. I saw something called Jungle Water Clear which is a package of Tank Buddies tablets and I am wondering what it is and if I can use it? The package (and Jungle web site) does not list any ingredients it just says:

Water Clear clears cloudy, discolored water and removes odors caused by decayed organics. Neutralizes iron in tap water which causes stains on aquarium glass, hoods, lights, ornaments and accessories. Quickly clears cloudy or hazy water conditions caused by fish wastes, uneaten fish food, decaying plants and dead algae. Also neutralizes iron in tap water which causes stains on aquarium glass, hoods, lights, ornaments and accessories for established tanks.\r\n Details: Remove carbon filter during use. Water may turn dark purple when first added, but will clear within a few hours. Treatment can be repeated after 48 hours and a 25% water change. If using any other water conditioners or treatments, wait 48 hours before using this product. \r\n

When I look on the Jungle web site for Clear Water it also does not list the ingredients it says:

For Established Aquariums Removes Odors and Cloudiness Quickly clears cloudy discolored water and removes odors caused by decayed organics (fish waste, dead plant matter, and bacterial blooms. Converts organic matter such as microscopic plant and animal life, into relatively inert matter. Also removes iron from tap water. Details: If using any other water conditioner or treatments, wait 48 hours before using this product. Remove activated carbon during use. Water may turn dark at first but will clear within a few hours. If cloudiness has not cleared in 48 hours, treat again. Use MAGI CLEAR to clear new water which appears cloudy in the aquarium.

So I am totally confused since neither says anything about being used to disinfect plants or lists the ingredients as potassium permanganate but both seem to do the same thing? Help :blink: !

As an update my plants are just sitting in a bucket of water with some fertilizar. I had put in a Parasite Clear (dosed as per the water volume the plants are in) on Sun and have been waiting to add the Clear Water.

Hi Touchofsky :)

I will most likely need to keep the plants out of the tank for at least another week. Do you think I should add more PC and Water Clear (this never turned my tank purple by the way)? I am thinking that the meds would not be active in the water for more than a few days or so. I am dosing based on the volume of the water (as I would do for the fishtank). Since this tank is very small (3gal?) I am only using about 1/3 of the tank buddies tablet. Should I add more?

So far the Wisteria seems to be doing fine but the Amazon Swords are showing browning of the leaves. At this point I am worried more about my gf than the plants so I'll do my best to keep the plants healthy but if they don't make it, so be it :( .

They have been out for 8 days. They are in my sun room so they get at least 8 hours of sunlight. I added 1/3 PC and fertilizer when I took them out and 1/2 of a Water Clear on Friday.

I would do a water change on the little plant tank, then if you wish to dose again, you can do so.

Just being without fish will go a long way to kill off any parasites, since they will not have a host.

Was the Amazon sword in a pot or bare root when you moved it? Also, is it all of the leaves that are browning or just the outer ones?

Will do, thanks.

Tha Amazon Sword was bare root so I stuck some gravel in the little tank and planted it along with a root tab (like it was in my main tank). It is mainly the outer leaves that are turning brown. Although there is sunlight, it is pretty cold out there - I am not sure if the plants are sensitve to the temp as well. I could move it inside where it would be warmer but have less light.

Yes, they are sensitive to temperature, but if I had to chose between light and temp., I would choose light.

If it is only the outer leaves, then your plant is most likely reacting to a combination of the transplanting and change in light. It will shed its outer leaves, in order to preserve the growing point.

I was wondering - do you think I should add back my plants to my main tank now? They have been in a separate tank for over 2 weeks, soaking in PC and the Water Clear. They look so-so but I think they would perk up under the right conditions.

The gf tank now has less than 0.05% salt, there are no meds and the carbon has been in for ~48 hours.

What do you think?

Thanks for your advice.

Archived