Nitrates Post Maracyn 1 And 2

sea

I started treating my fish with maracyn 1 and 2 on Monday. Before dosing I did a water change (used Prime) and tested my params (using API drops) which were amm:0, nitrIte:0, nitrAte: <10. I dosed the maracyns on Mon, Tues, Wed as per the instructions and then today when I tested the params again they were: amm:0, nitrIte:0 (but a little deeper blue than total 0) nitrAte: 0 (and I mean dead yellow in color). I have never seen 0 nitrItes and don't know why they would go down from what they were on Mon (I tested 3 times) - any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Such a late reply, but I had the same thing APPEAR to happen to me. My readings were all at 0 but then Penny started getting ammonium burns. I had LFS double check the readings, and they read at 0 too. After I got all the meds out ( a week or two later), I noticed my nitrate levels were at 10, so I had had an ammonium spike (they were previusly always 5, no matter what I did)!

So, the reading you get using these meds together is FALSE!! Others beware of that when using these 2 together, and take the proper precautions when medcating, even if your readings are at 0!!!

Curious if others noticed the same thing?

I am using the API drop tests and Prime (I usually add enough for the whole tank volume not just the water change amount).

I think in my case it was actually a hit in the cycle after using the meds as I had 0 nitrates for a little over a week (I know my tests were fine since my other tanks were normal). I am now seeing a little bit of orange (nitrate) coming back - maybe around 5.

I have been doing partial water changes daily during this past week as my ammonia readings were creeping up to >0.5, although nitrite was 0. Since my nitrates started to come back I was perplexed about the ammonia readings, given 0 nitrite. I finally tested my tap water (to which Prime had been added) and it is exactly the same as my tank (I know my tap has chloramines). So now I am totally confused. The parameters are the same before and after water changes, amm ~0.5, nitrite 0, nitrate 0.5. I assume I do not need to keep doing daily water changes (I have salt at 0.3% in the tank so it is a pain to keep doing them). Do you think my cycle is back now since there are some nitrates? Thanks for helping me figure this out!

Since you're starting to get some nitrates, your cycle is probably getting back on track. I bet both your nitrosoma and to lesser degree, nitrobacter colony took somewhat of a hit when you used the maracin, which would make your numbers go off kilter a little. The trace nitrates signifies nitrite is being produced and that your surviving nitrobacter is using it up about as fast as it is being produced to form the nitrates. But the trace ammonia signifies that there is insufficient nitrosoma culture to convert all of the ammonia to nitrite, at present. The nitrosoma colony will replenish a lot faster than the nitrobacter colony would have, so be glad that's where you took the hit.

I'd use Prime and not worry as much about water changes as long as nitrate level is under 50 and nitrite level, under 2.0.

I'm just coming back from a weird nitrobacter colony crash; using daily Prime doses and not doing water changes unless nitrite goes to 2.0, which it has not. Since doing this, my nitrate level went from 0 to 10 in a matter of four days, after a frustrating three weeks of 0 nitrates and big water changes. :) We have to let ammonia and nitrite build up "some" to get our nitrosoma and nitrobacter colonies established. The Prime binds both ammonia and nitrite into harmless forms that are still bioavailable for the "good bugs". And of course, the salt is buffering the nitrite, too, so your fish can still breathe.

Archived