Bio Wheel Help Needed...returning Broken Filter To The Store...

Katalyst

So a few weeks ago I bought two Bio Wheel's. One I started using as a backup for my aqua clear and the other was going to be for a tank I planned on setting up after the holiday's were over.

The wheel rarely turned and after a week I stopped by my LFS to ask about it, like a dope I took their suggestion and paid another $12 bucks for replacement filters. In the meantime I ended up rescuing 4 fry about two weeks ago so I had to break out the new bio wheel filter anyway. Well now that they are both running it's clear the one I've been using for 3 weeks is defective.

About a week ago it stopped spinning completely and now is dumping carbon into my tank, I vacuumed it all up and called my LFS. They told me to bring it in and they'd see what they could do or give me a new one.

Whew...

Ok two part question...

Question #1 Does everyone else use the replacement cartridge or just stuff it with your own goodies? If so, what exactly? I was wondering about bio balls or just rings etc.

I've been keeping the filter cartride that Marine Land makes and I'm not overly keen on it. I've also been stuffing the back with ceramic rings and a sponge.

Question #2

Can I pour some tank water into a bucket and keep the sponge, ceramic rings etc. in the water until I arrive home with a replacement filter? There is another filter running on my tank but as I am leaving in two weeks for the holidays I don't want to ruin the established bacteria.

Question #3

Does this make sense? lol I've been up all night...again! I sure will be glad when the military decides to give my boyfriend back! :P

PS

After editing a gazillion times I'm sure this doesn't make sense...Jeeze!

So a few weeks ago I bought two Bio Wheel's. One I started using as a backup for my aqua clear and the other was going to be for a tank I planned on setting up after the holiday's were over.

The wheel rarely turned and after a week I stopped by my LFS to ask about it, like a dope I took their suggestion and paid another $12 bucks for replacement filters. In the meantime I ended up rescuing 4 fry about two weeks ago so I had to break out the new bio wheel filter anyway. Well now that they are both running it's clear the one I've been using for 3 weeks is defective.

About a week ago it stopped spinning completely and now is dumping carbon into my tank, I vacuumed it all up and called my LFS. They told me to bring it in and they'd see what they could do or give me a new one.

Whew...

Ok two part question...

Question #1 Does everyone else use the replacement cartridge or just stuff it with your own goodies? If so, what exactly? I was wondering about bio balls or just rings etc.

I've been keeping the filter cartride that Marine Land makes and I'm not overly keen on it. I've also been stuffing the back with ceramic rings and a sponge.

Question #2

Can I pour some tank water into a bucket and keep the sponge, ceramic rings etc. in the water until I arrive home with a replacement filter? There is another filter running on my tank but as I am leaving in two weeks for the holidays I don't want to ruin the established bacteria.

Question #3

Does this make sense? lol I've been up all night...again! I sure will be glad when the military decides to give my boyfriend back! :P

PS

Question #1 - I just use the factory cartridge. I don't find there is much room in there for bio-media and use a combination bio-wheel filter and cannister. The cannister contains the biomedia.

Question #2 - Yes, that should work. If the actual biowheel is good, keep the old one and let the lfs keep the new one. Put the old wheel in the new filter (assuming that it is OK).

Question #3 - Don't let this stuff keep you awake. The fact that you are aware of tank cycling, seeding the new filter, etc. puts you way ahead of crowd. This isn't rocket science. Be happy.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis,

Its not this that's keeping me awake..The two things that are:

My boyfriend is in the military and away oversea's.

When this house settles as it does most of the time at wee hours of the night it sounds as if someone is running through the house and scares the wits out of me.

I don't know that the wheel has seeded at all and the LFS wants me to bring in the entire unit. grrrr

Question #2

Question #3

PS

Q1: I have a couple of biowheel filters, and at first i purchased replacement cartridges, but they're kinda pricey and after i read that you really don't NEED the carbon unless you're filtering out meds, i got some bioballs from bigals. the only thing is, not all biowheel filters fit lotsa media. if you've got the room though, go for it! you also want to keep that blue filter pad stuff in there even if you take the carbon out. it helps catch a lot of the grimey stuffs that floats around.

Q2: i'm not too sure about this one, but if i understand correctly, if you're going to leave the filter media and stuff in the bucket of water for 2 weeks? i was under the impression that the bacteria will need a source of nitrites (or was it nitrate?). haha yeah i would take my input on this question like a grain of salt... i am definitely not the expert, but i would think that keeping the media wet is better than letting it dry up.

Q3:and yes it makes sense. :-)

Q2: i'm not too sure about this one, but if i understand correctly, if you're going to leave the filter media and stuff in the bucket of water for 2 weeks? i was under the impression that the bacteria will need a source of nitrites (or was it nitrate?). haha yeah i would take my input on this question like a grain of salt... i am definitely not the expert, but i would think that keeping the media wet is better than letting it dry up.

Thanks Emily I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, I'm a bit sleepy :zz ..I'm planning on leaving the filter media in the bucket for an about an hour or two while I am out returning the filter and running an errand or two. I am going on vacation in 2 weeks and am trying to get this all sorted sooner then later.

I do use the replacement cartridges. I rip out the black plastic and dump out the carbon. I used to have two cartridges in my penguin.

In addition to the two cartridges, I also had a bag of bio-max thrown in there.

Question #2

That is fine. As long as it's for a very short period of time, and it's wet, it'll be fine.

Well after all of that nonsense I get there and they refuse to take it back. I'm so mad I could scream, but I didn't, I couldn't believe it. I spent 15 minutes on the phone with making sure it would be replaced before yanking it all out. The manager suggested that perhaps I should purchase replacement parts. I said for a filter that's 3 weeks old? *shakes head* Its not as if I didn't have my reciept. Instead of yelling and screaming like I really wanted to, I cancelled the special order they were placing for me, a tank that my boyfriend was buying for me for christmas.

hmm... if it's a marineland biowheel, you might try calling them and seeing if they'll replace it? i'm not sure if they will, but considering it was defective when you got it, just maybe???

and at the pet store, did you speak with the manager? if you did, and their customer service left something to be desired, call the district manager or something... cuz i know i do a lot of my pet shopping at specific stores, and i'm sure they want customer satisfaction and SHOULD aim to serve their customers to the best of their abilities.

it doesn't make sense that they would not replace a defective item purchased at their store. even if it was 3 weeks, it wasn't like you knew what the biowheel should do if you've never seen one before.

Archived