My Betta Loves Peas

selena685

I'm a very new Betta owner. I have a red Betta called 'Slash' I keep him with my bristlenose so I put in a couple of peas in there. Last time I did I noticed my betta eating the peas too. Is this normal. I thought Betta's only ate meat based food

:) Through the last few years,I've had quite a few Betta's that enjoyed a Pea or two. :D Some shared tanks with Tropicals,and I swear that they couldn't stand watching anybody eat and not be eating themselves :rofl

Consider yourself lucky that he eats them as it can only be a good thing.Most people overfeed Betta's,which can often cause constipation,so the fact that he eats them will keep him somewhat cleaned out and healthier. :D

I actually feed mine Peas once a week.

Yeah, some bettas like peas - mind don't though. It can't hurt to feed them occasionally, if they'll eat them and as Devs says it may help to keep things moving.

However, bettas are basically carnivorous so it is important to keep the meat-based aspect in their diet. A good quality staple pellet should cover most of their nutritional needs and contain a good protein level.

Also you could try freeze dried, frozen or gelled "live" foods like brineshrimp, daphnia and of course the all-time favourite - bloodworms! I believe bloodworms form part of the staple diet for wild betta species so most betta splendens love them, but there is always the odd one that won't touch it.

They're so individual that it's sometimes hard to predict their eating habits and as you may have gathered they can be very fussy!

Another thing to try is freeze dried krill, heavily soaked (because it's tough) and then cut into teeny weeny pieces - mine love that! Good luck with you new betta! :)

My bettas love to have a bit of pea on my tankwide "pea day". I haven't decided if it's because they like peas or if it's because they like to bit me and the pea just happens to be on the end of my finger when they do so. Here's a picture of my husband's late betta, Speck, biting off more than she can chew.

speckpea.jpg

:) That is a cute pic Imber! :heart My betta, Steve, also enjoys peas on "Pea Day"! He really goes after them, and of course I'm not sure if he actually loves them or wants to eat them before the snails get them!!!

Archived