Wenless Lionheads?

tropicana

In any group if fish of a "breed" you will always get fish that fall all along the scale of body conformation. You will see everything from heavy wens that cover the full head, high tops, just the cheeks and wens that are hardly more than a skin thickening on the head of the fish.

This does not mean that the fish is not a "Lionhead" - it just means that it is not, perhaps, a show quality one.

Many Lionheads/Ranchu develop a wen later in life - after 2 years of age even.

Many Lionheads/Ranchu develop a wen later in life - after 2 years of age even.

Oh that's interesting daryl, I didn't know that. I always thought it had to start very early. Well, you learn something new... :D There may be still be some hope for my wenless ranchu-type fishie Cuthbert then after all. Thankfully, my ranchu Billy is still tiny and he already has some wen growth going on :)

A fair number of breeders that I have spoken with expressed a desire to breed Ranchu and Lionhead that did NOT develop the wen until the fish reached a particular age. They felt that fish that put their life energy into growing in size and muscle will be able to physically support a large and heavy wen with far better stability than a smaller fish that develops a large wen at a young age before the body is filled out....

A fair number of breeders that I have spoken with expressed a desire to breed Ranchu and Lionhead that did NOT develop the wen until the fish reached a particular age. They felt that fish that put their life energy into growing in size and muscle will be able to physically support a large and heavy wen with far better stability than a smaller fish that develops a large wen at a young age before the body is filled out....

That makes sense Daryl, I suppose stable, even growth is more desirable and probably more healthy for the fish long term, also wen growth that is in proportion to the fishes overall size. Also, I suppose personal taste and what you find interesting in a fish comes into to it as well. Interesting subject isn't it :)

I agree. I have spent a fair amount of time shadowing smaller breeders of koi and goldfish in Asia.... I only wish I could have asked questions - most of what was given was simply the basic discussion that occurs during regular up keep and selection - translated in an undertone.... (My Chinese is VERY basic and my Japanese is almost non-existant)

The knowledge that is out there is amazing. I wish more people had access to the depth of information hiding the brains of so few out there......

my ranchu/lionhead didn't start developing a wen until it was probably 2 1/2 inches. up till that point it was pretty nonexistant, but now, my fish is probably 2 3/4" and the wen is coming in nicely. its not overpowering yet and hasn't really reached the top or around the eyes, but the cheeks have definitely started coming through in the past month or so. when the wen is small and grows evenly, its really hard to actually see it. its like the hair on kids arms. its there, but its not really noticable. just give it time and it'll eventually show up probably.

some lionheads/ ranchu's dont go to their full potential until later in their life :) see my ranchu's at first really dont have that much wen but in this pic you can see he has started to develop his wen nicely but in this pic you can see from my other ranchu's this one has no wen but my dai-yu and female have their wens now

male hardly no wen

PA010672.jpg

female

PA010675.jpg

Dai Yu

PA100913.jpg