Do Goldfish Grieve?

arabpaso

When one of my gf died last week the other one seemed kind of "off". He just wanted to hang out behind the plants and didn't swim back and forth begging for food like he normally did.

He's better now, more active and eating well. I gave him peas again and he loves them! One piece was too big so he'd suck it up then spit it out over and over--he wanted it so bad!

yes i would have to agree with them misssing each other if one dies. i had a 10 year old oranda that shared his tank with a 2 and a half yr old fantail, who would hide under the orandas tail, and follow him around all day!

my oranda, Coco, got dropsy and sadly we had to have him put to sleep.

my fantail, Stripe, just seemed to hang out at the bottom, or hide after that. so i would say if the fish have been together a long time, then they will miss the other one once it isnt there anymore.

hope your fish is ok, and i think giving him his favorite food will help!

I agree. I had 2 GF, and when one died, the other, older GF kept sleeping in the spot that the other GF slept in (never slept there before), and did things that the younger GF did, and he never did. The older GF was a little less active for a few days. They were only tank mates for about 4-5 months, but I guess they bonded more than I thought. Since then, also, even though it has been about 2-3 months since the other fish died, whenever I come close to the tank , the remaining fish seems way more excited to see me than ever before. I think it is lonely, so we are considering another fish again. I did read that GF are very social fish, so it doesn't surprise me.

I agree for sure. When my ranchu (Angus) died my Blackmore (George) was alone, so I moved him to a smaller tank to save on space. He was actually depressed, all he would do was lay at the bottom of the tank all day. I figured it was just because he didn't like the smaller tank, but when I put him in a huge one he was the same. It wasn't until I got him a new 'tankmate' to replace his old little buddy that I got the old George back! :heart

Chrissy

Guest Sacreligioushippie

That video was so sad! :cry1 I had 3 fish die before but the all died in quarentine so they were never with each other. My 2 fish now are the best of friends. I would hate to see either one of them mourn for the loss of the other.

:( That video made me teary eyed when I watched it! That goldfish looked sad! He knew his tank mate was gone. I think they would miss a tank mate if they had been together for a while. :heart

I don't know what their emotions might be, but animals are aware of each other. I had 2 fishes in my 30 gallon tank to begin with, and one was under the larger one, swimming with it all the time. I removed the big one to a pond, and the smaller fish(Guinevere) started to mope in the corner of the tank, only coming out to eat. When I introduced another fish, Guinevere perked up considerably and began swimming vigorously about. I introduced a third fish, my Oranda, but she got sick, and was pointing toward the corner of the tank in the back, fins drooping. I noticed that Guinevere went to the corner when it was dinner time and nudged the Oranda to get it to rouse. They both went out to eat after that. Very interesting... :D

That video is so sad. The poor thing :cry1

When my goldies original tankmate died his behaviour definitely changed. He became a lot more skittish and easily frightened. I suppose that might have as much to do with 'safety in numbers' but on some level I think he knew and missed the company. Even though he still had Bumble for company the 'relationship' if you can call it that, that he has with him was enitrely different to the companionship he had with Jupiter.

I don't know what their emotions might be, but animals are aware of each other. I had 2 fishes in my 30 gallon tank to begin with, and one was under the larger one, swimming with it all the time. I removed the big one to a pond, and the smaller fish(Guinevere) started to mope in the corner of the tank, only coming out to eat. When I introduced another fish, Guinevere perked up considerably and began swimming vigorously about. I introduced a third fish, my Oranda, but she got sick, and was pointing toward the corner of the tank in the back, fins drooping. I noticed that Guinevere went to the corner when it was dinner time and nudged the Oranda to get it to rouse. They both went out to eat after that. Very interesting... :D

I know that they get very attached to each other. I nearly lost my part oranda Buddy, when I lost my fullbred oranda Patches a few months ago. I had just introduced two new fish into the tank, Amigo a blue oranda, and Bubbles a black moore. Bubbles and Amigo didn't seem as sad, and they seemed like they were trying to comfort Buddy. They stayed right by him, and very nearly under his front fins almost all the time until he started eating normally again.

I know that they get very attached to each other. I nearly lost my part oranda Buddy, when I lost my fullbred oranda Patches a few months ago. I had just introduced two new fish into the tank, Amigo a blue oranda, and Bubbles a black moore. Bubbles and Amigo didn't seem as sad, and they seemed like they were trying to comfort Buddy. They stayed right by him, and very nearly under his front fins almost all the time until he started eating normally again.

after submitting a "research " piece and the enclosed video

I have no doubt that they have the basic senses like you and I and, in their own way like elephants who are now known to grieve for a lost fellow, I am sure that these feelings are deeper than we can imagine, simply on a seperate plane of communication

Archived