Neptune Heater

Kissy

Are neptune heaters any good? I may not be able to get another hydor and this seems to be the only other 25W heater acessible through local stores. It says one the box that it is set at 76*F and you move the notch for cooler or warmer. It worries me that there are no set numbers.

Hi Kissy,

I have a Neptune 25 watt heater in my 5 gallon betta tank and it works great. They are made by Marineland, which makes very good products (Penguin, Emperor, Magnum).

Mine does have individual numbers on the top dial. I don't know if they have changed them, since mine is a few years old now.

Thanks Kissy. Yeah I have been concerned about Zeke's water temp too. It just seems so cold in my apartment sometimes. Also it will keep his tank water at a constant temp and I can turn down my heat a little when I leave for work in the morning.

Hurray I finally found the a pic of the hydor heater I was talking about . They have it at mmm. It would be good for betta tanks 2-5 gallons.

http://www.mmm.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=4...familyID=14614&

the review on the site says it increase the water in a 2 gallon tank by 5 degrees and in an a 5 gallon tank it increases the temp by 4 degrees. There is even a review on there saying it was safe in a 1 gallon.

That's the kind that I have, and today when I came in to work, the temp was at 72 instead of 58 where it had been the day before. :exactly . It went up to about 80 with the light and warmth of the day. My betta was actually swimming instead of plant-sitting when I got to work today, and there was a small line of bubbles across the top by the time I left.

I know that the says it only increases the temperature by a degree or two, but just from that two-day experience, I'm wondering if the true value of the mini-heater is that it slows the rate and amount of overnight cooling.

Great. I like them. I am going to get one for Zeke if he survives. This morning he was acting as if he might be dying. So I am a little sad today. Hopefully he will still be alive when I get home from work. I am tempted to try to go home at lunch to see how he is doing, but now sure I can make it back in time. Poor baby. I had arranged to get him a bigger tank and everything this weekend. However the lady who gave him to me said he was three years old already. I must have just got him at the end of his life.

Okay so back to my neptune:

I decided I like it, but not as much as the hydor. Its bigger so I had to lay it diagonal and its either stronger or less accurate since I have it on the lowest setting but the temp says its 80*F. I hope it will be okay in the warming up months.

Archived