Somebody Please Help! Fish Looks Like He's Dying!

ktinal900

:yikes one of my comets looks like he's dying!! he's kind of drifting in the water with his fins clamped to his sides... anyone have any idea what might be wrong?! He was fine this morning!!!

Ammonia = 0

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate = 5

pH = 7.2

tank size = 30 gal

filter = aquaclear

water change = at least 25% weekly

number fish = 2 -- 7 inch and 4 inch

water additives/conditioner = prime, 0.02% salt (treating fin rot)

Is he gasping, or anything weird with his gill movements?

Not that I know what I'm talking about, hoping I'll narrow it down a bit for the experts out there. @_@;;

When was your last waterchange, and is the other fish doing anything unusual?

Is he gasping, or anything weird with his gill movements?

Not that I know what I'm talking about, hoping I'll narrow it down a bit for the experts out there. @_@;;

When was your last waterchange, and is the other fish doing anything unusual?

I just did a water change today. And the other fish is doing fine. :(

although i did just find a strange mass of tiny gravel pieces all stuck together spit out on one of their rocks... you don't think that all these tiny pieces of gravel could have gotten stuck in the fish's stomach do you? and that they finally expelled of it? The mass was pretty compacted but I was able to break it apart... It's just that I never noticed any strange pieces of gravel before... if so, this is one reason why i don't like to soak their food beforehand, since it sinks and forces them to dig through the gravel to find it, often lodging a piece in their mouth. Maybe I should go barebottom tank?

He keeps hanging out near the surface with his fins clamped to his sides... he seemed fine this morning, he was eating and swimming about... :( I just noticed him like this this evening. He did poop and it was the color of the food but... it did have a bit of stringy white/clear attached to it... Another thing I noticed was that he seemed to be losing some of the orange colour in his tail fin... I don't know if this is bad or not??

I've had them for over four years (yes, sadly, i'm afraid he is stunted since i didn't know better and kept them in too small a tank... until i found this site and learned better) and the one that looks like he's dying is the four inch comet which doesn't have fin rot (the other fish which does, appears to be growing his fins back little by little... the new part is a bit colourless looking)

Also, when i did the water change, i didn't add back the salt since i had been observing the small for a while and thought it might affect him more as he seemed very very unwell quite suddenly...

just checked on my fish again... he seems weak but still near the surface which is not normal since the lights are off and generally, he goes down to the bottom to sleep... i hope he makes it through the night :(

What were your param readings before the water change? Have you been very careful about measuring salt amounts and dissolving before adding it to the tank? Do you do regular gravel vacs and how often?How long has this tank been set up?How often do you rinse the filter?What size Aquaclear by the way? How much water did you change out,and did you temp match new water before adding?Sorry for all the questions,just trying to cover all areas. :)

What were your param readings before the water change? Have you been very careful about measuring salt amounts and dissolving before adding it to the tank? Do you do regular gravel vacs and how often?How long has this tank been set up?How often do you rinse the filter?What size Aquaclear by the way? How much water did you change out,and did you temp match new water before adding?Sorry for all the questions,just trying to cover all areas. :)

Before the water change, the params were the same although nitrates were just a little bit higher, between 5 and 10.

Yes, I have been carefully measuring the salt and dissolving it first.

I do gravel vacs once or twice a week.

This tank has been set up since sometime mid-September.

I rinse the filter about every two weeks (maybe I should do it weekly?)

I have an Aquaclear 300.

I changed out 25% and made sure the temp was the same.

One thing I remembered when thinking of what could be affecting my fish was that I did recently change the sponge in the filter... which may have slightly knocked the cycle off? Since a while ago I checked the water params again and there was a spike in ammonia :yikes It was 0.25 ppm. And there hasn't been any ammonia reading in the tank ever since it fully cycled!! I just did a 50% water change and checked again. Ammonia back to normal but I'm going to be sure to check again in the morning and will probably do another water change. Arghh, I've been having so many problems with my goldies ever since moving them into their new home.... It's driving me nuts :krazy: since now I'm all conscious about water quality and everything else but I have been having tons of problems, whereas before, I didn't pay much attention to that stuff and they never got sick or anything. Sigh. :krazy: I'm hoping that the small fish was affected by the spike in ammonia.. of course that's not necessarily a good thing to hope but I mean, I hope it's not something even worse. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping he'll be better (and alive!!!) in the morning.

He's alive but looking half-dead still :( I did another water change and checked the water params again and they were okay. He ate a little this morning but then started munching his food and then spitting it back out. His fins aren't clamped to his sides anymore but his dorsal fin is still down. He's still just kind of floating languidly in the water near the top. I don't know what's wrong. I think I'll do another water change later this evening.

You are sure that the water that went into the tank had the same pH than the tankwater itself? Only a couple of things can set off a fish that bad after a water change - forgetting to add dechlorinator to the new water, which as a result exposes the fish to chlorine and/or chloramines.

Another reason would be different pH in the new water compared to the tank water. Especially if the tap water contains lower pH, then the fish would show stress symtoms.

Third and last, but not least - difference in temperature from new water to tank water.

When you say the fish loses color on its fin, how does the "new color" look? Whitish? Does it effect more than just the tail?

You are sure that the water that went into the tank had the same pH than the tankwater itself? Only a couple of things can set off a fish that bad after a water change - forgetting to add dechlorinator to the new water, which as a result exposes the fish to chlorine and/or chloramines.

Another reason would be different pH in the new water compared to the tank water. Especially if the tap water contains lower pH, then the fish would show stress symtoms.

Third and last, but not least - difference in temperature from new water to tank water.

When you say the fish loses color on its fin, how does the "new color" look? Whitish? Does it effect more than just the tail?

I don't think it's the water change :unsure: He was acting like that before I changed the water. And I always age the water and add conditioner before adding it. I also make sure to match the temperature so I dunno. The pH in the tap is pretty much the same as the tank water. He is orange with a white underside and white ventral fins. I'm pretty sure his tail fin was completely orange but now it has two white streaks in it.

Like I mentioned in one of my above posts, I did recently change the filter sponge and there was a spike in ammonia yesterday. The ammonia's back down but perhaps that is what affected him?? :(

The ammonia could've helped in his illness.

How are things?

Just wanted to say that it looks like everything's ok now. :) My litte guy is doing much better after several days of water changes and the water params back under control. I'm guessing it was the ammonia that affected him. Note to self: must make sure to watch the water params closer next time I change a filter part and learn not to panic LoL.

Thanks everyone. :)

Archived