Gf Per Gallon - Per Tank Length

selena685

I was just wondering if the size of how big a goldfish grows depends on length of the tank or gallons per GF. For example if I had

2 GF in a 3 foot / 30gal tank, would the gf grow bigger than say 2GF in a 2foot / 30 gal

I'm just concerned as I dont want my fish to get stunted. They will have enough gallons but not sure if length effects their growth too :unsure:

This is the tank I'm concerned about:

barebottom1.jpg

I used to keep GF in there but moved them to another tank. I was thinking of putting just two GF in there becuase i'm overstocked by 2 fish in my four foot. I saw them in the petshop and couldn't resist :rolleyes:

I'm just worried that they will be stunted due to the length of the tank.

Another thing to consider is the total surface area when it comes to gas exchange... If you have a really tall tank, you're going to need much more aeration in order to get the needed oxygen into the water for the fish.

I've never seen a 2ft 30g before, what are all the measurements?

Length 24inches Width 17 inches Height 20inches

The actual height is 24inches but I'm only going to fill it up 20 inches high

Are these measurments ok for 2 GF in the tank.? I worked out that it is 35.32 gallons

I believe that a longer tank is better. Maybe I should just leave them in my 4 foot and do an additional water change during the week. I'm over by 2 fish. It's a 55 gallon but I have 7 fish in there. Would this be a better option than moving 2 GF to the 2 foot tank?

I believe that a longer tank is better. Maybe I should just leave them in my 4 foot and do an additional water change during the week. I'm over by 2 fish. It's a 55 gallon but I have 7 fish in there. Would this be a better option than moving 2 GF to the 2 foot tank?

I know alot ppl will disagree with me on this... But, I say 7 in 55 will be just fine.... (alot ppl doing this in asia and without problems) And dont be lazy to change ur water though......

When you do end up with an over crowded tank it is most important to do big water changes EVERY week, have a really good filter & don't over feed. :bingo:

When you do end up with an over crowded tank it is most important to do big water changes EVERY week, have a really good filter & don't over feed. :bingo:

Do you recommend 2 x 50% water change per week or more?

Goldfish do prefer the longer tanks,as they do provide more swimming room,and more surface area for them.

How big are your 2 new Pearl Scales? Now don't get me wrong here as Pearscales can get quite big themselves,but with their body shape and such,I personally wouldn't have a problem placing them in the 30 gallon high,just to keep from overstocking the 55 gallon. I'd be more worried with Ryukins and Oranda's,as they tend to get quite huge,rather quickly.

If you do decide to keep them all together, the only real way of knowing how big of water changes to do is by actually taking the params and testing them.There are too many factors here---size of other fish-size of filters-how often water changes and gravel vac's are done-how often they are fed-etc.....

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I've decided to do the extra 50% water change per week, and I'm picking up my aqua one cannister next week (finally as I was paying it off on layby) and replacing one of my internal filters with the cannister. I will be putting another cannister filter on layby so once I have both running in the tank there will be sufficient filtration. :)

Just to throw my two cents in, as long as there is sufficient aeration, the length of the tank won't affect growth. As others have said, I agree that it is better to have a normally proportioned tank to allow more swimming room.

Some years ago, I read about an experiment in which trout fry were raised in a small cylindrical shaped container. The thing was that it had continuous water flow through. In other words the entire volume of water was being continually changed. I don't remember exactly, but from the photos I'd say the container was about the size of a 10 gallon tank.

At the end of the study, the fish had grown fully (about 12 inches or so) AND HAD ALMOST COMPLETELY FILLED THE ENTIRE SPACE OF THE CONTAINER. They were literally "shoulder to shoulder." Now this was a study to determine if physical space affected growth (it didn't), and it would be cruel to actually keep fish under these circumstances. However, it provided some very useful information. It is the build-up of either waste products or hormones in the water that causes stunting, not physical space.

Dennis

Just to throw my two cents in, as long as there is sufficient aeration, the length of the tank won't affect growth. As others have said, I agree that it is better to have a normally proportioned tank to allow more swimming room.

Some years ago, I read about an experiment in which trout fry were raised in a small cylindrical shaped container. The thing was that it had continuous water flow through. In other words the entire volume of water was being continually changed. I don't remember exactly, but from the photos I'd say the container was about the size of a 10 gallon tank.

At the end of the study, the fish had grown fully (about 12 inches or so) AND HAD ALMOST COMPLETELY FILLED THE ENTIRE SPACE OF THE CONTAINER. They were literally "shoulder to shoulder." Now this was a study to determine if physical space affected growth (it didn't), and it would be cruel to actually keep fish under these circumstances. However, it provided some very useful information. It is the build-up of either waste products or hormones in the water that causes stunting, not physical space.

Dennis

that sounds very interesting, and seems to make sense. it's a good assumption that small space stunts growth, as lack of space/water will create a higher concentration of waste and 'growth inhibiting' hormones a lot quicker, so as long as the water was continually changing then there was nothing to inhibit the growth.

That sounds like a really interesting study. and it sounds like the fish involved were treated well and ethically, which is nice to hear(although i worry if they had a control group, which wouldnt have been treated as well) Really useful info thanks dennis.

For me personally i tend to not even go by the usual 10 gallon rule.I had 2 fancies in a 29 gallon,did 50 percent water changes once a week,had 2 filters running,a 200 and a 150 ,still there were loads of waste in my tank each weak,also i only fed them once a day.Goldfish are large waste producers and i think the rule for a big healthy goldfish should be one per 20 gallons.I have only one in the 29 now and my water is pristine and he is growing each day i think,this is just my experience that i have had.

I do regular 30-50% water changes weekly. I test my water. And I WATCH my water.....your eyes & nose are good water testers too! If any of those things are off a bit I will do another water change! Over all weekly keeps my tanks in pretty good shape! :)

By the way, you are extremely good at tank decor!!! Are your plants real? I decorated my big tank awhile back with some beautiful plants, got them situated just so & really liked the look of it.........but within about one month the goldies (who thought it was a free buffet) had pretty much destroyed them all! :blink:

Archived