Sleeping Fish

Guest Frogman

Guest Frogman

I have a tank 100l with 4 fish in it. The tank is in good condition with good quality water. I have one of my fish , the type with the bubble eys who is sleeping on the bottom of the tank he sleeps 90% of the time he occssionally swims for a feed but that is it. One of his eys has formed a burst blood vessel on the side and the other thing we have noticed is that he is getting darker in coulor he is going deeper red.

Let me know what you guys thing I should do

p.s. the rest of the fish are looking good.

Hi Frogman, sorry to hear your fish isn't well.

The first thing I notice from what you are telling us is you are extremely overstocked. gf require 10-20 gallons each. 100liter tank is a little over 26 gallons, that is only big enough for 2 fancy gf. (only 1 fish if they are commons or comets).

So with that knowledge I have to first discuss the water. You said it is ok, what are the results to the tests you done?

If you can answer all the questions at the top of the page this will help us to help you better.

A fish that sleeps most the time on the bottom is a sick fish, usually in an overstocked tank it will have something to do with the water. So going over that with a fine tooth comb is priority.

Then we can go deeper into what else could be going on.

For now I would recommend a large water change and make sure you post the results for the params of the tank.

Guest Frogman

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level?0

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.2

Ph Level out of the Tap?7.4-7.2

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?100L 5 months

What is the name and size of the filter/s?

How often do you change the water and how much? 1/3 EVERY 7-10 DAYS

How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 About 1-1.5 inces each

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Algex with the last 2 water changes

Any medications added to the tank? no

Add any new fish to the tank? no

What do you feed your fish? Saki Hikari fance gold fish food

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", I have a bit of Alge on the gravel Had lots of it in the water until I used Algex then it has cleared exept on the gravel

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Blood streak in the eye

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? sleeps 90% of the time at the bottom of the tank and he has turned dark red in coulor

Thanks for getting back to us.

You will need to know your nitrites and nitrates levels. This is highly important. I assume you don't have a test for those? It is something you will need to get, it tells alot about the water, especially in a cycled tank that has been up a while.

Next, I am wondering if you vacuum your gravel and if so how often?

Guest Frogman

How are things going?

Hi not good, the poor little fellow joined choir invisible yesterday. I was on a trip out of town when it happened. About the Nitrates, I've been told that is there is no Amonia, the nitrates will also be normal is this true?

I avcume the gravel evry time I change the water 7-10 days.

The good news is that I now hav only 3 fish so my tank will be less overstocked

Guest Frogman

I'm sorry you lost him Frogman :( Just a question for you, do you run filtration on your tank? I noticed you have a ? beside that question ... :)

Yes I do, white stones , white cotton looking stuff and black carbon filter...built in with the tank

Ahh, so it's an all-in-one? Can I make a suggestion? It would be much better for your water quality if you could replace the black carbon with some ceramic noodles or lava stones (possibly the white stones you see currently). Carbon doesn't house good bacteria and needs to be replaced a couple of times a month because it becomes 'full' quickly. The problem with this is it can leech contaminants back into your water making your fish ill. Plus as it's chemical filtration, it's only real purpose is to remove chemicals from your water such as meds etc...

So if you can, try stuffing it with more sponge or ceramic noodles, because both mechanical and biological filtration are the best types to keep your water quality good :)

I too am sorry that he didn't make it.

To answer your question, if there is no ammonia that does not mean the nitrates are ok.

In fact as the tank is fully cycled the nitrates can get out of hand. Nitrates break down the ammnonia and nitrites, so if the nitrates are doing there job well there will be more of them...........you should be testing weekly for everything to insure that the cycle is ok.

Nitrates should be between 10-20.

Guest Frogman

I too am sorry that he didn't make it.

To answer your question, if there is no ammonia that does not mean the nitrates are ok.

In fact as the tank is fully cycled the nitrates can get out of hand. Nitrates break down the ammnonia and nitrites, so if the nitrates are doing there job well there will be more of them...........you should be testing weekly for everything to insure that the cycle is ok.

Nitrates should be between 10-20.

Just tested the water for Nitrates and they are at less than .03 mg/l which the test kit says is perfect, so the condition of the water is good. The petshop guy suggested that the fish might have had Pop Eye and he gave me something for it. The other fish in the tank , theire eyes look big too (not sure if it is my imagination). What do you think should I treat the whole tank?

If you are not sure then I would wait a day or 2 and see if anything develops.

I am not one for jumping to treat unless you know for sure.

Often with fish something looks "ascue" and then it is gone.

Archived