Need Scientific Info On Goldfish Memory Info

littlefishyboy

I FINALLY got a nice 55 gallon tank set up about 1 month ago for some goldfish, 2 orandas and a fantail. My mom was against me setting up the 55 gallon i got last year for goldfish, so at first I dropped the idea. However, I managed to use the science fair to my advantage...So I'm doing an expiriment to test the memory of goldfish, and what factors they remember best. This friday, we have on outline stateing facts and scientific terms for the expiriment, to prove the hypothesis. Since this site is my best(and favorite) source out of my 5 sources, and the books i got are completely usless, I decided to ask here. So, does anyone know anything about goldfish brains,senses,etc, that would support my hypothesis that goldfish do not have 3 second memories.

Ok, this is urgent,the outline is due tomarow.Please, I need some info on goldfish memory and senses. this site my only usefull source. All my books talk about care and only 1 gives even the slightest useful piece of info. Does anyone have ANY input?

Instead of waiting here for someone to give you the information you need, why don't you search the web? It would be a really good learning experience (which is usually what science fair projects are about) if you actually do the research yourself. If the books don't help, look for sources elsewhere. I did a quick search on google and came up with a few interesting sites, so I think perhaps you should put a little more effort into doing the project yourself before asking for answers to be given to you.

if by tonight you still can't find any sources, even on the web, i'll be more than happy to give you some websites.

Try looking up the Mythbusters episode. Apparently they did a test where they actually trained goldfish to swim a maze faster.. or something.

But look them up, hopefully there'll be something online. :/

I finnally found an e book on this cool site that tells you how to train your goldfish todo cool stuff,and it had some useful info. IT IS SO COOL!! Moe, the amazing soccer playing oranda...

Sounds cool!! Do you have a web url?

What kind of marbles do you have, Nenn? Just the standard ones you pick up from a toy store?

They had them at my LFS, they're a translucent blue (much nicer than playing marbles) and those are the ones I use in my barebottom tank. The first time I had them my pearlscale totally flipped out when he nudged one and it went rolling across the bottom! :krazy:

Now he pushes them everywhere. *clink clink*

:D i'm glad you found yourself a good source. i hope you didn't take any offense in my comment. it's just being a teacher, it's frustrating when a student comes up and asks for help before having done anything to try and solve the problem themselves. it's just the best way to learn. it's difficult to learn if all the answers are handed to you. :)

let us know how the initial part of your science project goes! :heart

I FINALLY got a nice 55 gallon tank set up about 1 month ago for some goldfish, 2 orandas and a fantail. My mom was against me setting up the 55 gallon i got last year for goldfish, so at first I dropped the idea. However, I managed to use the science fair to my advantage...So I'm doing an expiriment to test the memory of goldfish, and what factors they remember best. This friday, we have on outline stateing facts and scientific terms for the expiriment, to prove the hypothesis. Since this site is my best(and favorite) source out of my 5 sources, and the books i got are completely usless, I decided to ask here. So, does anyone know anything about goldfish brains,senses,etc, that would support my hypothesis that goldfish do not have 3 second memories.

It is probably to late for your needs- but iof you are looking for some memory info and research stuff still let me know- I have a special relationship with my "Punch" as well, and some interesting facts on memory have come about- a very so=-- so clip- will show the attachment we have-

Cheers.

ERic

Oh and if you come across anything describing how they communicate- especially in high vibrations and different length intervals- please let us know- Punch communicates with me over pleasure- satisfaction - and annoyance(when I am working on the tank and ignore him) - they have a definate communication process- the vibrations tend to be generated like the vibrations of a hair clipper =- except more intense and at varying intervals- I attempt at returning the process but cannot duplicate the speed, although when I have done so, he comes back with slower momentary vibration response- they have a communication process- more than we realize. It is possible to connect this to certain memory traitsm, not just Innate response- as I have shown various times he has the ability - and does- over - ride his natural instincts and responses to external factors - as is per his judgement call. they can altert their response habits as per their memory dictates- of fedar and as well trust.

Eric

Archived