They Keep Digging Up My Plants!~

goldphishe

Every day when I get home from work there are a few plants floating at the top of the tank. I plant them back into the gravel and then when I get home, there they are floating again. I know the goldies are digging them up. How do I keep them in the gravel?

i think you can buy little metal weights to hold plants down at pet shops. you can tie them to the roots so even if they get dug up they wont float, they'll stay at the bottom and the roots will grow into the gravel hopefully. make sure you know exactly what metal it is made of though, so you can be 100%sure it's safe.(some pet shops sell unsuitable metals and plastics for aquariums without knowing, so do some research first)

or you could just let your goldies have their fun destroying your plants!! hehe! they will always find a way to screw up your beautiful set up, they are little terrors!!! (mine push stuff around the tank and pull the plants out of the pots!)

You can try Java fern, which has a rhizome (a root-like structure) that grows along the gravel. When you get one, you can tie the rhizome to a small piece of rock or driftwood. That will keep it anchored. As the fern grows, the rhizome extends over the gravel with a very tenacious set of roots. My goldfish have never moved my Java ferns.

I also use Water Sprite (Hygrophila ??). Grows like a weed. The goldfish uproot it sometimes, until it takes a "set." After it takes off, it will throw off little plantlets, again messing up your tank. Just toss these out as the produce them. Think of it as a way to remove nitrogen from your tank.

Good luck,

Dennis

Archived