Anyone Here Actually Have A Boxfish?

Guest ctrainor

Guest ctrainor

Hi guys,

I wanted to hear some stories from anyone who has actually kept boxfish. I have heard all the warnings but I want to know if there are any successful cases. I have a tank with three seahorses and clams, coral, anemones, etc. plus a sand sifter. I would love to keep a little boxfish in there as well. We have had the tank for years and understand keeping delicate (seahorses) animals alive. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Christan

Edited by ctrainor

don't consider putting a boxfish in with your seahorses. The boxfish will be unable to resist nibbling the dorsal fins of the seahorses (and I know you've noticed, that's the only means of locomotion for the poor things, how they would suffer if they lose that!)

besides, if something spooks the boxfish (and it could be something as simple as turning the lights on or off, or a person passing in front of the tank... or even being introduced into the aquarium from the fish bag), it'll release a toxin as a defense mechanism which will poison the otehr fish in the tank, even the boxfish itself...

Box fish are best left in the ocean...they don't do well in anything less than the larger systems where there is a lot of water to dilute any toxins released...Systems with lots of carbon running....etc....