Tiger Barbs

Levi

For Christmas my friends want to start a saltwater tank and they said that i could HAVE not pay for their tank(46 gallon bowfront), decorations, rocks, and Filter.... Well i have a 29 gallon and a 20 gallon tank right now with 2 gold fantails in the 20 gallon and 2 commons in the 29 gallon... They asked if i wanted any fish, and i decided to get the two tiger barbs they have in their right now... What other types of fish can i put in with the tiger barbs.. What size tank do i need. I kno that they live in groups and love to swim around alot with alot of space... Also i saw rosy barbs and i liked them. Are they compatible with tigers..??? thanx Levi :newfish

Will the tiger barbs be getting their own tank (what size?) or will they be sharing with the goldfish? They are very aggressive and aren't compatible with much. Rosy barbs are less aggressive but also need to be in a school of their own kind and can't be with goldfish.

They will be in a 10 gallon for a good while, i have my other tanks up for use..Is their any kind of fish i can put in with them??? thanx levi

If they're in a 10g please don't add anything in with them. A 20 long or a 29g is a much better size for a group of these active fish.

Also i am in the group.. Fry.... How do i get upgraded to group one or sompthin?? thanx levi and would the ten gallon be too small for two tiger barbs

Levi

I believe you get group 1 when you get 100 posts?

And yes unfortunately the 10g is too small for these fish as they will get 2" very active adults and are schoolers.

A 10 gallon is too small for tiger barbs. It might be okay while they are small and young, but they do get to be 3" devils when they are older. They need to be in a group of at least 6-8 to disperse aggression to prevent bullying and 10 gallons doesn't allow the swimming space or biological capacity.

If I was you I would give the 2 commons the 46 gallon, give the two fancies the 29 gallon and if the 20 gallon is a long tank you put the tiger barbs in there? (you might want to check about the barbs though, I've not kept them). Where has the 10 gallon come from? I thought you had a 20 and 29 and getting a 46.