Sign in to follow this  
Guest ctrainor

My Boys Are Killing My Girls!

Guest ctrainor

Hi guys!

Well I guess the time is right for breeding because my 3 males in the tank are going nuts. The problem is that they are being so aggressive they are hurting my females. At first they were going after my panda oranda and the next morning I found them piled on top of her at the bottom of the tank. She was missing all her fins on one side and barely breathing. Her fins are wreaked. I took her out of the tank immediately and put her in the hospital tank with some melafix. Then they turned to the ryukin...same thing. I had to take her out and put her in the baby fish tank. My question is...what to I do? Do I let them do their natural thing and leave them all together? Do I seperate them for a while and then try to put them back together later? If so, how long? Thanks guys! I don't mind fry, I just don't want to lose a fish in the process.

Christan

You can try separating them, and then putting them back together and watch them very closely and see if they start up again. Sometimes a separation will work. However, sometimes you have to set up a tank for aggressive males. Not all males will be aggressive, though, and the calmer males can stay in with females. I have a one tank that houses the "bad boys" :D

Guest ctrainor

Thanks for the reply! I was hoping that they would settle back down after the breeding frenzy was over. All three of the males are chasing whatever female is in the tank. None of the fish are new of have shown any signs of aggression before. If I want fry do I just leave them altogether or will they arelly hurt each other? Thanks,

Christan

I have seen really aggressive males do serious damage to a female. You have to watch closely and see if physical damage is being done, and remove the male that is doing the damage. Also, you have to be careful that the female isn't too stressed or exhausted. Providing lots of hiding places for the female sometimes helps.

It sounds like your one female was in pretty bad shape this morning, so you did the wise thing by removing her. You can wait several days and try putting her back in the tank and see what happens. I would do it on a day that you are going to be home, so you can keep a close eye on the activity.

I too have a couple of aggressive moors and I ended up separating them to a tank with only males... well that didn't stop them. They started to chase all the males around causing some nasty wear and tear so now they're in a tank by themselves. For the first few weeks they ended up chasing each other but that soon settled down and now they're inseparable buddies. But there's just no way these 2 can be housed with any other fish sadly :(

Guest ctrainor

I like the pirhanna idea!!! LOL!

Here is the thing...there are 3 males and 3 female. All 3 males get together and chase a particular female. I remove that female and all 3 males go after another female,etc. Right now there are no females in the tank and the 3 males are very quiet and fine together! So it is not just general aggression. I change the water every 5 days, 75% and they are in a tank that gives them 10 gal per fish. I think what I will do is wiat until the end of the week when the new 90 gallon is set up and then move all of them back in together. Hope fully the new home will distract them. If not, I am not sure what to do. Is there a breeding season or something that spurs it on? If so maybe I can get over that and put them back together. Thanks again,

Christan

PS- I have all the filtration media for the 90 gallon established so there won't be a problem with the new tank cycle.

I like the pirhanna idea!!! LOL!

Here is the thing...there are 3 males and 3 female. All 3 males get together and chase a particular female. I remove that female and all 3 males go after another female,etc. Right now there are no females in the tank and the 3 males are very quiet and fine together! So it is not just general aggression. I change the water every 5 days, 75% and they are in a tank that gives them 10 gal per fish. I think what I will do is wiat until the end of the week when the new 90 gallon is set up and then move all of them back in together. Hope fully the new home will distract them. If not, I am not sure what to do. Is there a breeding season or something that spurs it on? If so maybe I can get over that and put them back together. Thanks again,

Christan

PS- I have all the filtration media for the 90 gallon established so there won't be a problem with the new tank cycle.

Ur fish will all be fine, Nice huge tank too,90G ^-^

Sometimes a tank divider will do the trick - they can stay all in one tank, but separated by the divider. Unless the males manage to run that one down too... :rolleyes:

Just be sarcastic but why we are adding pirhana's to the tank, how about adding some Oscars to they would do the same trick :cry

Guest ctrainor

Well,

I took the girls out and put them in the hospital tank where they laid eggs. There was no male in the tank to fertilize so I let the girls eat them. I reorganized the main tank and put the gilrs back in. Only one of the males continued to chase them so I put him in with the little fish, where he is now. THe other boys and girls are all doing fine together. Gosh, I want to breed them, and have the set-up but I can't stand to see the girls hurt so badly!!! What do you guys do?

Christan