Thinking About Starting Saltwater

SusanH

Still thinking about starting a large saltwater (125+ gallons, probably 200+ as my 180 for goldfish still seems too small, haha) and would like to start with hardy fish, preferably reef compatible. I am very fond of Domino damsels, Green chromis, blennies of all types, lime green wrasses, and snowflake eels. I have a feeling getting all of these guys living together is a pipe dream. (and have let go my wanting of a cowfish, at least until I am much more experienced.) Does this sound okay, or which of these guys could I get together? I'd really appreeciate advice and suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Is this going to be a fish only, fish only with live rock tank??? Or are you going into a reef tank???

If it is a fish only...damsels get mean...and very territorial...I would not get them....if you get a snowflake eel they also can go after fish...I have seen them take small fish...like the ones you want to keep.... The wrasse's, blennies, and chromis will do fine together...

Thanks for the response. I am thinking I would like to do a tank with corals, anemones, zoanthids, etc. so I guess that means a reef tank :) I love peppermint shrimp, emerald crabs, sea hares, etc. so would like to do fish that wouldn't eat those. Any suggestions? (Oh, and I know that clownfish are damsels, but are they any less aggressive?)

There are some types of clowns that are more aggressive than others. The ocellaris and perculas tend to be a little more docile than some maroons and I think clark's. Our pink skunk clowns seemed a little more tame, too. Just get them at the same time and don't get any more than a pair.

Green chromis are damsels too but seem to be some of the most docile. I have seen beautiful reef tanks with nice schools of chromis in them. Like Reef Man said, the blennies and wrasses would get along and they would be good for a reef tank. I am also fond of tangs though you'd only want one in a tank as they can be aggressive (most marine conspecifics are aggressive with one another).

The inverts you mentioned would do fine. What kind of lighting are you planning on having? Definitely wait till the tank is nice and mature before introducing anemones, though. In my experience they are much more sensitive than corals and many reef keepers have lost them in tanks that are too new.

Something interesting that we got for one of our tanks recently is a red serpent star. It is related to brittle stars but is not known to eat fish. He is so interesting and fun to watch, especially at feeding time, and is reef safe. I am also (of course!) fond of hermit crabs, and keep them as pets, not just as cleaners.

Pink skunks are darling, glad to know they are more laid back. Why is no more than a pair suggested? Do they get more aggressive in groups?

Can I mix types of blennies, like scooter blennies and eyelash blennies?

I have heard tangs are sensitive and get ick really easily. (The powder blue in particular) Are any of them hardier or is what I heard not true?

Are bubble corals okay to put in a new tank?

I know it's a lot of questions, sorry! Just want to gather as much info as possible.

I would start with soft corals....shrooms, zoa's, etc....and wait on the LPS until the tank is established..... All tangs can get ich...you just need to acclimate them right....make sure they are eating at the LFS and feed them sea weed on a clip....to help ensure they are getting the right foods.... I have kept powder blues and never had them ich on me...but they are aggressive fish....more so then some of the other tangs....

• 1 year later...
Guest marinefishexpert

well for a beginner damsels are the hardiest and strongest fish. but they dont look tht cool. clowns r a little harder to take care of. but theyre worth it.