How Dose This Work?

Mooreman

• Admin

Thats normally for a dry filter system or a saltwater system that has a tank under neath the tank for a refigu, keeps the water from over flowing the tank.. not normally used on goldfish tanks :D unless you have a wet/ dry system :D

Koko's exactly right [of course]. That is only a piece of a filter or sump system.

But, I actually use TWO with my Goldfish aquarium. One to a wet/dry filter and the other to a sump tank that is a reservoir for an additional 50% of the volume of my aquarium. The latter serves no purpose but to aearate and "hold" water that is recirculated into the tank. The wet/dry filter is a fantastic bio filter for freshwater aquariums as well - the difference is, you don't need a protein skimmer with it as you do for saltwater. Protein skimmers on freshwater aquariums are obsolete.

The way the gadget that you saw works is, half hangs inside the aquarium, half outside. There are slots at the top of the box that hangs inside the aquarium and water flows into that at a rate adjusted by how far it is inserted into the water. Water is then siphoned via a "U: tube from that box into the second box hanging outside the aquarium, the "overflow box". The overflow box has a pipe in the bottom that is connected to flexible hosing, pvc pipe, etc. so that water falls through and into a filter or sump, that is below the aquarium. I have seen some people use pumps to draw the water from the overflow box but YIKES! Gravity is enough. As for how many gph you can pull with one of these gadgets, I have a Catalina Aquarium 2200 pump to return water from my sump tank to the aquarium and it does so at the same rate that a SMALL skimmer+overflow box delivers the water to the sump by gravity. In other words, 685 gph. The return from my wet/dry filter that has a large skimmer+overflow box with two hoses to the filter, is done with a CA 5000 pump - i.e. 1215 gph... using nothing but gravity to deliver water from the skimmer+overflow to the filter.

Not commonly used for Goldfish tanks but I don't know why! Saltwater aquariums have to mantain impeccable paramaters to succeed... Same nitrogen cycle but the marine life is much more sensitive even to nitrates. By modelling those that have to be almost scientific to keep their fish alive, just think what we can do for our hardy Goldies. This is really the best way to keep "pond fish" in large aquariums, just as it is commonly done in Asian cities.

Edited by CometKeeper

So true hun you can us it for goldfish tanks, but most of the tank people have such smaller tanks that this system would be a over kill for them. :D

'Tis true, Madame KoKo. :) She knows of what she speaks.

I'm just one of the oddballs that has an uncurable "thing" for those big Commons, Comets and Wakins that do best in ponds. So I do backflips to ease my own guilt for not having a pond... yet. :) My family also has a 32 gallon that is the home of a baby Pearlscale and baby Oranda. No wet/dry, no sump - just Aquaclear 110 and 50% water changes, weekly... and future plans for a 55 gallon for them. So, I'm not completely unconventional. haha

Love this forum and all you do.