Are Thse 12cent Fish Goldies

dengundam

I purchased my commons 3 years ago to cycle my tank (I know, not a good idea) and I still have 3 of them. The largest is red and white and is about 9 inches long. One of the others has longer than average fins but he's not a comet. He's the one in my signature and is about 2 years old in the picture. I've had them so long, I would definately miss them if anything ever happened to them.

Edited by br553

yes they are the 12 cent fish. Great to save from the feeder tank =] they are very hardy. I have had high nitrites the past few days. My Fantail died as a result of it i believe, and my commons are thriving. i suppose they would be ok to help cycle a tank, but it would make a great everyday fish =]

Edited by CiscoKidd

No matter what the type of fish.Doing a cycle with fish is very stressful on the fish.Fishless cycling is the best way to go :)

If you're talking about commons, they're pretty hardy, but I wouldn't recommend to purchase them simply to cycle a tank. :) Commons make very nice pets too.

i agree. :)

I think youve got your answer to that one dengudam.

Do a fishless cycle either using ammonia or old media or even flake food. A goldfish is a goldfish no matter how much it costs and cycling a tank with them just leaves them stressed or dead.

On that note I think we can close this topic now.