The World's Oldest Goldfish

goldenlady

I just found this news about the World?s Oldest Goldfish. It really tickled me. In case people hadn't read about this fish, I thought I'd share his story:

A common goldfish that was recognized by the Guinness Book of Records as the World?s Oldest Captive Goldfish in 1998 died in August, 1999. The fish named Tish was at least 43 years old! Tish was found dead at the bottom of his BOWL. He had also turned from orange to silver toward the end of his life.

According to news reports, Tish was won as a roll-a-penny funfair prize by a seven-year-old boy, Peter Hand, in Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England in July, 1956. Peter had also won another goldfish, Tosh at the funfair. Tosh died in 1975, and had shared quarters with Tish throughout his lifetime. When Peter married and left home, his parents took over Tish?s care. Tish took the longevity title from Fred, a Worthing, West Sussex, England goldfish that died in 1980 at 41 years of age.

The Guinness Book of Records could not verify Tish?s age by the usual microscopic examinations to count the growth rings on his scales because he had been kept inside and had not been exposed to seasonal changes. They relied upon sworn affidavits of friends of the Hand family as to when the fish arrived at the Hand?s home.

Mrs. Hand said in comment to Tish?s longevity, ?I think the mistake that a lot of children make is to overfeed their fish and put them in the sun. Tish was fed the fish food every day. We changed his water regularly and we always use a net to take him out, not hands.?

They did everything wrong, according to current opinions regarding these practices, and Tish lived to a very ripe old age! What IS IT about the water in England? :rofl

I just found this news about the World?s Oldest Goldfish. It really tickled me. In case people hadn't read about this fish, I thought I'd share his story:

A common goldfish that was recognized by the Guinness Book of Records as the World?s Oldest Captive Goldfish in 1998 died in August, 1999. The fish named Tish was at least 43 years old! Tish was found dead at the bottom of his BOWL. He had also turned from orange to silver toward the end of his life.

According to news reports, Tish was won as a roll-a-penny funfair prize by a seven-year-old boy, Peter Hand, in Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England in July, 1956. Peter had also won another goldfish, Tosh at the funfair. Tosh died in 1975, and had shared quarters with Tish throughout his lifetime. When Peter married and left home, his parents took over Tish?s care. Tish took the longevity title from Fred, a Worthing, West Sussex, England goldfish that died in 1980 at 41 years of age.

The Guinness Book of Records could not verify Tish?s age by the usual microscopic examinations to count the growth rings on his scales because he had been kept inside and had not been exposed to seasonal changes. They relied upon sworn affidavits of friends of the Hand family as to when the fish arrived at the Hand?s home.

Mrs. Hand said in comment to Tish?s longevity, ?I think the mistake that a lot of children make is to overfeed their fish and put them in the sun. Tish was fed the fish food every day. We changed his water regularly and we always use a net to take him out, not hands.?

They did everything wrong, according to current opinions regarding these practices, and Tish lived to a very ripe old age! What IS IT about the water in England? :rofl

BTW, according to the BBC, since 2004, the UK has outlawed awarding goldfish as a prize at funfairs (duty of care: Animal Welfare Act).

That's true. Pet stores are also expected to be happy that, when someone buys an animal, whether it be a horse, dog or goldfish, they are capable of looking after it and are aware of the requirements and responsibilities involved.

Not sure they all do this, though.

That's true. Pet stores are also expected to be happy that, when someone buys an animal, whether it be a horse, dog or goldfish, they are capable of looking after it and are aware of the requirements and responsibilities involved.

Not sure they all do this, though.

I hope that takes place here as well! On all animals!

BTW, according to the BBC, since 2004, the UK has outlawed awarding goldfish as a prize at funfairs (duty of care: Animal Welfare Act).

Not according to Practical Fishkeeping:

Uproar as goldfish remain legal prizes

Guest =+fIsHlOvErS=+

Not sure they all do this, though

Sigh,wish my country r lyke that,most shop keepers in my country just care about money.they doont realy care about the animals.imagine they put about 50 angel fish in a 20g tank n they put at least 25 budgie in a cage about the size of the cat carrier.(the common ones which mostly people use.plastik cover n grilldoor.

i know,its a bit of out of the topic.lol

and if you look at pictures of Goldie in its last years, you'd notice that the creature was noticeably dull, haggard and stunted and appeared to have been kept in an unheated tank for most of its life... proof of the metabolism-based lifespan of fish.

so... it really depends on how you'd like to express your love for your fish: keep it overfed and warm to get the best of its growth and vigor potential for a few years, or keep it cold and underfed to prolong its life (well... in a way, of course; keeping a fish in cold temperatures could render it susceptible to stress and ich and have a nasty effect on its digestion process)

there was a report however on the world's oldest koi named Hanako. She reportedly lived to an astonishing 226 years and belonged to a family in rural Japan for five generations. Hanako and her five other koi companions (who also lived to great ages but not as great as Hanako) were reported to have lived in a pool that was fed from a mountain stream, and thus had very cold water (keep in mind though that the water was constantly replenished... water changes are important to fish health! :D )

Man yu, Goldfish are coldwater fish though.. and they must get uncomfortable at higher temps. Cooler water also holds oxygen better. So why keep them in a heated tank?

I think the term "heated tank" can be deceiving. It is all a matter of degrees (literally in this case). Though goldfish are coldwater fish, it still probably isn't wise to subject them to extreme temperature swings (high or low) which can occur in many homes.

I know that my room routinely gets *extremely* cold during winter nights, and I'm planning on purchasing a tank heater in the near future, but for now I'm using a space heater in my room to prevent the room from getting cold enough to have the temp drop too drastically.

Maybe a better way of referring to it would be keeping goldfish in a "temperature controlled environment".

Edited by L. E. Pirin

you guys have to remember that the fancy breeds (the ones that aren't in the common or comet or japanes shubunkin categories) are raised in farms located in tropical countries. They're not the type to tolerate temperate pond temperatures (unless its summer up to mid-autumn of course)