Neon Tetras

Jon

I dont see a problem as long as the tank is big enough and over 6 months old.

You must be so careful when buying neons. Make sure they are all healthy and bright and look out for any that are dull, lifeless and/or have any patches on them. Neons are susceptible to a lot of diseases so make sure you only buy from a healthy tank.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it would be a problem at all. The main concern with guppies is that they can bother other fish by nibbling at their slime coat, I once had two guppies kill a few mollies in that way :o . The good news is neons are way too fast for guppies to harass. I recently added 4 to my communiy tank and they are so beautiful. I had been reluctant to get them because they are so 'common' and I"ve heard things about illness too, but so far so good, they are lasting longer than many other breeds of tetras I've had!

Good luck,

Chrissy

I made an enquiry about tetras the other day at my lfs. They told me that they prefer a slightly acid pH or neutral at highest, guppies prefer a slightly alkaline pH around 7.6 but can be kept at neutral too.

So, if you keep them together it's a balancing trick with the pH and you would have to be careful to keep it at neutral as a swing either way would be detrimental to one of the species.

ok thanks for the imput.

I made an enquiry about tetras the other day at my lfs. They told me that they prefer a slightly acid pH or neutral at highest, guppies prefer a slightly alkaline pH around 7.6 but can be kept at neutral too.

So, if you keep them together it's a balancing trick with the pH and you would have to be careful to keep it at neutral as a swing either way would be detrimental to one of the species.

well, i wouldnt have to worrie about the guppies as i havent bought one in 8 years, so i guess my ph is slightly alkaline. Yhey just keep breeding like mad...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had some mosquito fish in with my Rasbora's and they ended up nipping the Rasbora's tail fins off :/

I don't know if domesticated guppies are different.

http://www.elmersaquarium.com/10tetra_redeye.htm

If you want a hardier variety of tetra that has the blue stripe you could try the red eyes. Above link shows a pic and gives some info. I got 2 recently and they are very cute and active. Their blue stripe isn't quite as bright as the neons of course and they are a little bigger.