Need Help

Guest happymum

Guest happymum

Just got 2 goldfish yesterday. they are in a tank that is 36 x 22 x 26.5cm and I was told that it would take 2 fish. I got the tank from pets at home and is called goldy's starter kit. Filter came with the tank and the instructions were rubbish, should pipe be pointing up or down. (just incase we have it wrong way round) tonight fish are on the bottom 1 has hardly moved and other one does move but is acting very strange and swimming then going back to bottom. they were fed fish flakes this morning. PLEASE help as these are my sons fish and will be devastated if anything happens to them??????? Tank been running since last sunday

Happymum (who is not very happy but worried)

First thing I would do asap is a water change. You should take out about 80% of the water and add back water that is the same temperature as the water that you took out. You should use a good water conditioner to remove chlorine and chloramine. Even with well water, a good water conditioner can be very important for your fish's health.

Then I would add 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon of water. From the measurements of your tank, it is only about 5.5 U.S. gallons, which is going to be too small for your fish as they grow. Goldfish get very large. Common goldfish can easily grow to a foot in length, so you can see the problem :( Even fancy goldfish get to be the size of tennis balls with fins, some larger.

But, for now, do the water change, then add the salt. Use aquarium, kosher, pickling, coarse or sea salt (a salt without additives). Dissolve in tank water before adding. The salt will act as a bit of a tonic for the fish.

Also, could you describe the filter a bit so I know what type of filter you are trying to set up.

I hope you don't get too discouraged by having bought something that is supposed to suit goldfish only to find out that it will ultimately be too small. I would bet that 90% of the people on this forum have started out that way. Very few people realize how big goldfish get and how much water they require.

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you need to. We are here to help :D

Just got 2 goldfish yesterday. they are in a tank that is 36 x 22 x 26.5cm and I was told that it would take 2 fish. I got the tank from pets at home and is called goldy's starter kit. Filter came with the tank and the instructions were rubbish, should pipe be pointing up or down. (just incase we have it wrong way round) tonight fish are on the bottom 1 has hardly moved and other one does move but is acting very strange and swimming then going back to bottom. they were fed fish flakes this morning. PLEASE help as these are my sons fish and will be devastated if anything happens to them??????? Tank been running since last sunday

Happymum (who is not very happy but worried)

Just on my experiences, NEVER take any advise on how many fish you can keep in a tank from PETS AT HOME!! They..I am sure would be happy to cram as many fish into one tank for the sake of a sale. That tank is tiny, and pets at home should have their wrists slapped for advsing you could have 2 fish. Keep up with water changes...very regularly, and perhaps get them a bigger sized tank, else you are left with a lot of work. Fish are hard work regardless if you plan to look after them well. PETS AT HOME should have advised you on other things you should buy which are vital to the fishes wellbeing. Water test kits are vital, especially for a newly set up tank.

goodluck with them, and I hope they will feel better soon.

If you can afford it, get another tank and ask to be refunded for the useless tank they provided you with in the first place! BEST OF LUCK to you, I mean that!

Yes, you are right, Jen, it does hold 5.5 and not 3 as I had posted. I was doing the conversion from inches to cm's in my head. I was raised with inches, but Canada has converted to metric, but I still think in inches and my metric is a tad shaky.

I will edit my post, but it seems kind of moot, since happymum seems to have disappeared :(

Guest happymum

Thanks to all of you for your advice and help but both fish were dead on saturday morning (son took it very well) :(

Diva it was that tank that you had on the link and it was the manager of the Falkirk store who told me that it would take 2 fish. Pets at home have useless staff who give conflicting information, which does not help novices like us.

Can you please give any advice about the set up of the tank, anything else that we need to do to have healthy, happy fish?

We are going to get 1 fish for the tank at the moment as my son has been waiting since september to get this tank as we were told it would be good as a starter.

thanks again and it is good to know that htere people out there who can help us!!!!! :D

If I were you, I wouldn't get a goldfish for your tank, but I would get a male betta. A male betta could live very nicely in a 5 gallon tank. I would be luxury for him. They like to live alone, as they are aggressive with other bettas.

Bettas come in beautiful colours and I think it might be the answer for your son.

We have a betta section on the forum if you would like to take a look and see if a betta might suit you :)