Exchanging Designated Filter Material

I have an Eheim Liberty 200 filter and I was wondering if I can substitute another kind of filtration material in the box for the carbon and sponge filters that you have to buy all the time. The filter is effective, but costlier to maintain. Also, I've had this filter for 4 or 5 years and recently, once in a while, I've been hearing a noise that sounds like it is working harder than it should--kind of a buzzing or grinding (?). the outstanding feature about Eheims are that they are SOOO quiet. Can you get into the unit to service it? Are they water tight? How long are they supposed to last? Did I get water into the unit when I cleaned the unit (back part and underside) to make it noisy? I don't immerse the unit, but I do wash it out and use a brush to reach into the underside. :(

I use the Liberty unit for my quarantine tank when needed, but I am using it on a daily basis to supplement my Eheim 2213 cannister. To my disappointment, I discovered that the water turnover rate wasn't as high per hour as I'd like. I mean, the filter is supposed to be plenty for a 30 gallon tank, but the gph isn't high enough! Go figure. :blink:

Those are some fancy cartridges... Actually, you could buy media bags and fill them with activated carbon or your media of choice and place them in your filter. The biological and chemical filtration will work great. However, the physical filtration will be affected. The cartidges have a perfect fit and filter particles from the water. If you use media bags, the fit will not be perfect and particles will get through.

Regarding the noise, have you pulled out the impeller and cleaned the chamber where the magnet is located?