Well I Never Thought I Would

tropicana

Today i went into the lfs, just to see what fish the fish store owner got in, and blow me down, he got he most beautiful phoenix eggfish, and sure enough, it had reserved on the tank :rolleyes: i must of been in there so many times he knows what i want, he was 25 bucks, but he was worth it! he's got a little black on his fins but the rest of him is orange.

p.s. i know what your thinking, but my camera is getting fixed

I spent seven cents each on my commons and comet (they had some fancies mixed in with feeders.. well some with slight fancy traits.)

The most expensive was Melrog at $2.99.

In the future, if I ever become truly fish-crazy, I may end up springing for the ten or thirty dollar fish.. but that would be with the intent to breed, and recoup the money on selling offspring.

The current batch are to get me reacquainted with goldfish keeping, and more as pets than with any bloodline intent.

But yeah, I could see myself someday spending a little more on fish, if I needed to, or it was just "The Fish" that made me take it home!

Congrats on the new fish. :D hope to see some pics when you get your camera back

when i got my pearlscale, putter, he was $25 and i thought that was alot since goggles was $6, sunny d $3, and mr brain was $4. i got peaches after i got putter and he was $13. none of my fish were really rescues other then mr brain who had ich and an internal bacterial infection. he was also missing a tone of scales. a few weeks i had gotten him he got dropsy, and he some how lived.

Are eggifsh kinda like lionheads without wens?

lionheads can have wens. :) i belive the difference is the pheonix eggfish and a lion head is that the eggfish does not get a wen, and the fins are more flowy with a rather large fork on the tail :)

An Eggfish is a dorsal-less fish with no wen or a rudimentary wen (Usually a thickening of the skin around the head). They are very close akin to Ranchu - or the original Ranchu that had very little wen. In fact, Ranchu - the old-fashioned ones - are commonly called Eggfish by many.

An Eggfish with a long tail and fins is called a Phoenix Eggfish - after the long flowing feathers of the Phoenix bird. (I also think it rather appropo that the Phoneix Eggfish has "risen from the ashes" for they were all but extinct for many years)

A wenned, dorsal-less fish with long tail and fins is commonly called a Shukin.

Now days, Ranchu often carry more wen - in fact they have been crossed so many times - the Japanese RAnchu with the Chinese Lionhead - that the majority of the fish seen carry a tail tuck more reminicient of the Ranchu and a wen more like a Lionhead. Some people call them Lionchu.

It is interesting how goldfish are constantly changing, growing, progressing, regressing, etc..... Nothing is ever stagnant. :)

Archived