Why Snail Floats

88keys

I added 7 "feeder" goldfish to my tank to help it cycle and yes, they move very fast, scrounging for food where my 2 apple snails cruise around...but after several hours after adding these hyper fish...I noticed my big snail is floating at surface, body half hanging out...one goldfish in particular picking at him....he stopped after awhile...I tried to sink my snail but he keeps floating and the strange part is he floats in the bumpy waterfall of the filter current...which is logical since the current is like a magnet to anything floating...I can't imagine this wouldn't be stressful for the snail...bouncing around like that...I even noticed for awhile his antennaes floating too until goldfish picked at him...then he sucked more of himself back in....Is this something to be worried about...my littlest snail is still cruising around...just the big one is floating. Is he okay?

I'm also wondering how to feed the snails since the goldfish are pigs!

I want everyone to co-exist happily...can they?

He may be dead, take him out and smell him. He will stink if he is dead. Its hard to have them co-exists because the golds are pigs. I clip a leaf of romaine to the tank wall and they get food that way.

What are you planning on doing with those fish after the tank is cycled?

Adding 7 feeder fish to this tank could have your params really out of whack.Have you tested the water,and what are your readings?? :unsure: What size is this tank,and are you aware of how big this fish get? :unsure:

Yes, for sure I know how big comets get....my friend will take them for her pond on the farm in spring...I sure hope my tank is cycled by then!!! Yeesh! And then, I'll get into fancies....which I love just as much as comets...they're all so beautiful...I just needed more hardy comets to start with cause I've had poor experience with fancies these past 6 weeks of beginner tank cycling.

I moved the snails to their own tank...it really bothered me to see them picked on by comets...now everyone is happy in their own space!!! My fish worlds are at peace once again! I'm glad I was supervising the newcomers and how the snails responded to them on their first day together....but I made the emergency decision and fast acting saved the rest of their antennae...do they grow back?

BTW my tank is 55gal. with 7 comets (1 - 2 inch babies) and ammonia is 1.0 still...I always have trouble with ammonia...it's a curse! :ill

Even after water change it goes down to 0.5 then next day back to 1.0

What's up with that?!?!?

I always add Prime conditioner and Stability bacteria...I bought Purigen "ultimate filtration" packet (looks like sand in a bag) for my filter to absorb ammonia??? Put in 2 days ago...so maybe that'll help...was thinking about adding extra filter media for bacteria to grow on...but my filter is a bit small (whisper 60)

btw, my snails are moving more in new tank...happier.

I wouldnt use anything that "absorbs" ammonia. That kind of thing usually causes more problems than its worth in the end. Id stick with water changes and Prime. I know its frustrating but hang in there! :)

Hi! I think that you might have more luck with your ammonia levels if you had a couple less fish. Even little baby feeder fish produce a LOT of waste, so it doesn't suprise me to hear that you are having trouble keeping your levels down. When i was cycling, even with one 1.5 inch feeder fish (common gf) i was changing 50% of the water, sometime twice a day for two months - just to keep the ammonia levels down! It's exhaustin, but so worth it in the end. And your future fancies will thank you for their cycled tank, and their more knowlageable owner, and your commons will thank you for keeping them long enough for them to see that beautiful pond!

Dana.

I noticed the snails are "hibernating" alot on bottom of their separate tank today... I hope they're okay.

They might be sleeping for the day. :) Take a peek in there tonight--They should be more active.

How is the big snail that you mentioned in your first post doing?

Hi again, yes, I checked on them every hour and saw them both crawling around with their antennae moving around - which aren't eaten off that much after all...sometimes little guy sitting on top the big guy...they look better now...recuperating from the comet stress...maybe I just worry too much...I have to laugh at myself..I never thought I'd be a fishkeeper until had to find a home for one comet last year given to me....now look at me ....TWO tanks and 7 fish and 2 snails and 55 plus gallons of water !!! Who knew I'd love it this much...still anxious to grow some orandas and ryukins too! :D

BTW Temp for snails is 70 F - no heater...sitting by window, maybe I'll put a towel around to keep winter chills away!

Ok, I'll start daily water changes for big tank...hope that'll keep ammonia down. Comets are active and happy so far. :)

Thanks!

Does your tap water contain ammonia?

The snails were probably freaked by the fish, it happens sometimes. I am glad that you have everyone settled in now. :)

• 1 month later...

Hey there.

My advice on snail 'friends' would be to add slowly - one at a time. The worst thing for snails is unstable water params. If you're still cycling you'll need to be careful - DON'T add any new fish until you're fully cycled. Then try one at a time, tank size allowing (not sure how big the snail tank is?) and wait around a week to allow the filter bacteria to adjust. When I read you had 7 fish and were having trouble with ammonia I knew THAT was your problem right there. The ammonia is not a 'curse' it's just the result of too many fish in an uncycled tank. To help you along with that, you could try a product by Seachem called Stability. It puts the right bacteria straight into your tank and helps to establish a healthy bio-filter quickly. It will shorten the cycling process and help take some of the stress from your fish.

Good luck with them all.

Archived