Sign in to follow this  
tinker

Is There Such A Thing As Goldfish "warts"?

Joni and I noticed what, if I had to describe it, looks like a "wart" on Desi. Pics posted below. Its above and behind his right eye, at the very top of his gill plate, is the same color as his 'flesh', doesnt appear to be a cyst or anything like that.

Do old fish get growths like we humans can? I got Desi as a carnival fish back in June of 1992, so he's going on 15.

He doesnt seem particulary bothered by this, but its bugging me LOL! I love this fish like crazy! :heart:heart:heart

Ideas?

desi001.jpg

desi0032.jpg

desi0052.jpg

BTW, in the second pic it looks white, but its really not, I think that's just the light and the camera. Its just a slightly lighter shade of his skin.

hmm :blink: how fast did it grow there?

He's an old fish, so maybe they do grow strange things..

Sorry I cant be of much help.

hmm :blink: how fast did it grow there?

He's an old fish, so maybe they do grow strange things..

Sorry I cant be of much help.

It actually cropped up pretty quick, in the last two weeks we've noticed it, which worries me some. Its been this size for about a week and not growing anymore. I've been so preoccupied with Lil Ricky being sick, I didnt pay much attention til last nite.

:) Wow,How come my Carnival Fish never looked like Desi?He's a real beauty,and it's great that you have had him as long as you have. The wart thing is hard to say.Usually I'm concerned when something like that pops up as quickly as it's done.Now I wouldn't spaz out or anything,but I would continue to keep an eye on it closely.If you see any odd behaviors from Desi,or that wart looks to be showing any signs of an ulcer starting,or redness around it,then I would definately start an antibacterial med to him.I know that's not the perfect answer,but those growths are really hard to pinpoint whether it's just a cyst or something more. Try and keep your params as close to pristene as possible. :)

:) Wow,How come my Carnival Fish never looked like Desi?He's a real beauty,and it's great that you have had him as long as you have. The wart thing is hard to say.Usually I'm concerned when something like that pops up as quickly as it's done.Now I wouldn't spaz out or anything,but I would continue to keep an eye on it closely.If you see any odd behaviors from Desi,or that wart looks to be showing any signs of an ulcer starting,or redness around it,then I would definately start an antibacterial med to him.I know that's not the perfect answer,but those growths are really hard to pinpoint whether it's just a cyst or something more. Try and keep your params as close to pristene as possible. :)

I was debating a round of antibiotics too, I'm thinking when I get the Med-gold from Rick at Goldfish Connection I'll do a round of that in that tank. Desi is really too big to put in the 6 gallon tank for a week unless I ABSOLOUTLY have to, and I'd hate to have to treat that whole tank.

What do you think about doing a round of the medicated food for a week?

Thats exactly what my Vivre has, except she is orange and the bumb is orange as well, and located close to her dorsal. I have been unable to find out what it was, but she has had it for over a year now. Touch of sky says sometimes things like this happen where the fish sustained a light injury, but I never saw a sore on her.

I bought her at a large size So I have no clue how old she is. Boy, I hope she is not too old! I want more time with her! eeeek!

sammie

Okay, I think I need some advice.

That "wart" popped like a pimple, and a strand of white stuff came out of it. Now what? Its not 'drained' completely, should I leave it to drain on its own? I started Med-Gold last night, but should I do a round of maracyn or maracyn 2??? I dont even know which to use since nothing seems to cover "fish pimples"....

I'm going to try to get a pic......

As I filmed this, I watched a peice of this white stuff just fall off. When I came home from work, a peice of it about this long _____ was coming out of it, and it too just broke off and floated away. Its draining on its own, doesnt seem to be red or irritated (other than from the hole its coming out of directly) and HE certainly doesnt seem to be bothered by it.

cyst0042.jpg

cyst0022.jpg

cyst0032.jpg

I've just done a 50/50 water change to make sure the params stay 100% since I have to go out of town at 4AM, and wont be back til tomorrow nite.

Any feedback on what his could be?? Should I be treating for ..... something??

I've been doing google searches for abcess/pimple's/cysts and cant seem to find anything.....

As I filmed this, I watched a peice of this white stuff just fall off. When I came home from work, a peice of it about this long _____ was coming out of it, and it too just broke off and floated away. Its draining on its own, doesnt seem to be red or irritated (other than from the hole its coming out of directly) and HE certainly doesnt seem to be bothered by it.

cyst0042.jpg

cyst0022.jpg

cyst0032.jpg

bumping this with the pics showing what's going on, hoping to please get some feedback! Its 4:30 am, and I want to start some kind of treatment tonite when I get back from out of town. But I havent the foggiest idea what to start!

Its still "draining", but appears to be smaller as that white stuff comes out.....

I wish I could help you but I'm a goldfish newbie....Maybe salt in the water to start or a drop of peroxide on it? Hope someone comes along soon!

Edited by Katalyst

I wish I could help you but I'm a goldfish newbie....Maybe salt in the water to start or a drop of peroxide on it? Hope someone comes along soon!

I hope so too! Its been two days with no feedback, has nobody seen something like this to advise me?

I posted this on a thread about warts in the diagnosis discussion forum, but had no response I think maybe becasue it was started as a topic that wasnt an emergency.....

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 10

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 6.8-7.0

Ph Level out of the Tap? same

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 2 years 50 gallons

What is the name and size of the filter/s? Two filters: Penguin Emperor 400 and Eheim 2215

How often do you change the water and how much? once or twice weekly 20%

How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 one large, three medum size

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, Aqua-Clear

Any medications added to the tank? no

Add any new fish to the tank? no

What do you feed your fish? right now: Med-Gold started Sunday night. Normally Pro-gold

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? yes, see below

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? no

This started out as I stated in another thread as what looked like a "wart". Came home late sunday night to the "wart" (or cyst) draining a white sebaceous material. I immediatly started Desi on Med-gold, but cant seperate him from the other fish as Lil Ricky is in the hospital tank being treated.

I've tried googling cysts, pimples and the like, but cant seem to find anything that covers this. I dont know what to treat him with, since nothing seem's to cover this.

Any ideas??

cyst0022.jpg

Tinker, Honey please understand that we aren't here all the time. All of our time here is volunteer, therefore it may take a while.

Having 2 threads running with the same stuff gets confusing to members.

I am going to merge your threads together and then take a look.

The emergency section is for dieing fish, it is checked first. But in no way shape or form is the other section forgot about, we get to it as soon as we can.

OK. :)

I tend to agree with Devs, if the fish is acting ok I wouldn't do anything.

Sometimes little things crop up and then go away. Often we jump to medicate everything "just to be on the safe side" and that isn't always the best thing to do.

At this point if you would feel better giving the fish a med food then go ahead, but I would do a full 10 days. Anything less could set him up for resistance further down the line.

Or you could swab it once with a bit of peroxide. However be careful not to get it in his eye or gills. This may be too difficult from it's location.

Sorry it took a couple days, but alot of people may not have advice on something like this.

I tend to agree with Devs, if the fish is acting ok I wouldn't do anything.

Sometimes little things crop up and then go away. Often we jump to medicate everything "just to be on the safe side" and that isn't always the best thing to do.

At this point if you would feel better giving the fish a med food then go ahead, but I would do a full 10 days. Anything less could set him up for resistance further down the line.

Or you could swab it once with a bit of peroxide. However be careful not to get it in his eye or gills. This may be too difficult from it's location.

Sorry it took a couple days, but alot of people may not have advice on something like this.

S'okay, I know people have lives, I'm just concerned becasue it's Desi, and this is developing into a sore now, that's open and still oozing. As I've said, I tried googling this using all the keywords I can think of, and cant find anything resembling what this might be. Given its proximity to his gill and eye, I dont want to let it go and have it turn into something I cant fix or cure.

Sorry for being a pest.

Oh no you are not being a pest. I know how imporant these things can be, it is just better to keep all info in one spot.

Sorry I can't be of more help, I advised as to what I would do. What it could be is a cyst or ????

Sorry, you may have to just treat symptomatically and may never know.

Have you given any thought as to what Devs and I said?

Have you tried adding salt to the tank? I know I'm new at this but I really do feel for you and its very obvious that you love Desi very much...If its an infection of some sort wouldn't the salt help? Just a thought.

I just googled and found a few different things...

White spots on head growth- this is seen in species who develop head growth. It may be some debrie, etc. that has become stuck in the crevices. So long as the fish appears to be healthy I suggest against treating. Take a Q-tip that has been wetted with some peroxide and rub it a little. DO NOT get any in their eyes or gills. You can try a water soaked Q-tip as well and try to dislodge it.

Fish Pox- The disease mainly is seen in Carp. It has been found among some various aquarium fish. It is thought that fish pox is mainly caused by a species specific virus. Symptoms- The disease begins as small, opalescent white spots with a greasy appearance and possibly with streaks of black pigment. These spots stand above the skin about 1-2 mm and gradually increase in size. The spots merge so that large areas of skin are affected. The growths are quite firm to the touch and may take on a reddish grey appearance with time. Treatment- There is no known treatment for this. If the affected fish are kept in clean, healthy surroundings the signs should disappear after 8-12 weeks. They may appear again but this is unlikely with healthy fish.

The link below is where I found it there is an entire page of symptoms and diagnoses.

http://www.goldfishinfo.com/identify.htm

Oh no you are not being a pest. I know how imporant these things can be, it is just better to keep all info in one spot.

Sorry I can't be of more help, I advised as to what I would do. What it could be is a cyst or ????

Sorry, you may have to just treat symptomatically and may never know.

Have you given any thought as to what Devs and I said?

Yep. We just put him in a tupperware and dabbed it with peroxide (the biggest net I could get is too small to hold him), and more of that white stuff came out.

Tonite we went to our LFS, took the video of him showing that stuff coming out, and the meds guy there suggested using this stuff AFTER doing what you said with the peroxide:

http://www.uskoi.com/bio-bandage.htm

which is a gel-bond neomycin based treatment. It seems to work like a charm, and you can see the med on him back in the water. Has anyone used this stuff before?

I just googled and found a few different things...

White spots on head growth- this is seen in species who develop head growth. It may be some debrie, etc. that has become stuck in the crevices. So long as the fish appears to be healthy I suggest against treating. Take a Q-tip that has been wetted with some peroxide and rub it a little. DO NOT get any in their eyes or gills. You can try a water soaked Q-tip as well and try to dislodge it.

Fish Pox- The disease mainly is seen in Carp. It has been found among some various aquarium fish. It is thought that fish pox is mainly caused by a species specific virus. Symptoms- The disease begins as small, opalescent white spots with a greasy appearance and possibly with streaks of black pigment. These spots stand above the skin about 1-2 mm and gradually increase in size. The spots merge so that large areas of skin are affected. The growths are quite firm to the touch and may take on a reddish grey appearance with time. Treatment- There is no known treatment for this. If the affected fish are kept in clean, healthy surroundings the signs should disappear after 8-12 weeks. They may appear again but this is unlikely with healthy fish.

The link below is where I found it there is an entire page of symptoms and diagnoses.

http://www.goldfishinfo.com/identify.htm

Thanks Katalyst! I was on that site last nite, and it had my hypochondria kicking in! :krazy::rofl I was convinced first he had the Pox, (nah, he only had the one spot, and it wasnt small or greasy), then I SWORE he had Hole In Head Disease, then Anchor worm, then a few more things.... LOLLOL! That's a great site, but not one for if you're a closet hypochondriac! :yeah:

I do have it salted to 1%, I'm going to add more in the morning, then again when I get home.

Tinker how are things?

That disease diagnosis site is great -- thanks for posting it! I have it bookmarked, now.

And yes how's he doing? Poor Desi the pimplefish... :ill

I know what you mean about that site...I've think I've diagnosed my fish with everything! To the point where my boyfriend had to say...Leave them alone!!!!! It was ich and its gone now but I totally understand the whole hypochondria angle. :)

Hope Desi is feeling better!