Sign in to follow this  
fishermoe14

Plant Tank On A Budget

i got these pictures off my phone but i hope it turns out.

SSPX0105.jpg

right after i got all the bulbs. they are planted in water bottles

SSPX0109.jpg

close up of above

SSPX0113.jpg

dwarf lily

SSPX0116.jpg

java fern

SSPX0159.jpg

after the disposal of water pots

SSPX0165.jpg

some growth

SSPX0189.jpg

more growth

SSPX0277.jpg

today right before pruning

there is two java ferns one in each corner. one is on a coconut and the other is attatching to the gravel.

the red lily is still the same size. running a topfin 20 filter on it. no ferts no co2 no added stuff, just fish poo and snaily poo. all are planted in plain gravel. all plants probly cost around 8-10 bucks. got java from lfs and the rest at wally world. o and the fish in there right now are 2 dwarf platys, 2 adult guppies, 2 baby guppies, and one rosy red. also have 2 apple snails.

Edited by fishermoe14

:) Wow,everything seems ot be growing great now.

Were they the Wally World bulbs?I love those things.Didn't I see a Betta in there somewhere?Did he get a new home?

Nice job! :exactly

yes the betta and blue mickey platy got new homes. all the plants are from the bulbs except the java fern

there is one that i got in there that is absolutly amazing. it doesnt produce surface leaves and doesn't produce flowers. when it does shoot a stalk up it is just a seed that i can plant. these seed things sometimes come in chains. can anyone help id this plant?

fyi the plant im talking about is the large one in the first and second photo

The big plant you have is definately an aponogeton. I have the same type of plants in my tropical tank. The stalk it sends up to the surface is the flower spike, maybe split into 2 parts after it goes above the water, and covered with many small white flowers. If the flowers are pollenated, soon after it will begin to develop seeds. The seeds eventually will drop off on their own, sprout a couple of tiny leaves, and take root in the gravel.

Edited by br553

this apon is a different one. it doesn't shoot flowers up but rather just a chain of new bulbs. i have never seen it shoot up a flower. my other aponos in there shoot up flower on a weekly basis and im always clipping them along with the surface leaves.

Lovely tank :) Cute Betta too

great looking tank. :) what kinda fish are in it?

suzzyQ please do not bring up old threads only reply if they are 2-3 months old