8 Gallon Nano Pics!

jsrtist

My boyfriend and I have been working at our little 8 gallon nano for about a month now and it's coming along nicely! We have added some new livestock to it, too. The clowns have been moved to their bigger tank so there are just inverts in there for now. We're planning on getting a new fish in the next week or so.

In case you didn't see my other post, it's an 8 gallon Oceanic cube with 50/50 actinic lights and a built in filter in the back. We have the heater hidden in the overflow and also piled in some live rock rubble and macroalgae to make a small refugium in one of the back chambers.

For now, here are some pics, so enjoy!

The full tank (it sits on my bar between my kitchen and living room!)

nanosm.jpg

A shot from the side:

side2.jpg

A shot from the other side, where you see our big maze coral (it looks like a brain coral and is the only stony coral in there so far):

side-1.jpg

A close up of our pulsing xenia (the little "hands" open and close):

xenia.jpg

A closeup of our finger coral (Sinularia) that we just got today!

finger.jpg

And last but not least, our little clam (named Clammy, LOL)!

clam.jpg

We are not totally sure on fish yet. I kind of wanted another firefish or cardinal, but then we found a beautiful pseudo at the store yesterday. The pseudos are aggressive but it would be the only fish in the tank. Later on we could move it to one of the bigger tanks, too.

I have also been wanting a clown goby for this tank. They are tricky to feed as they only eat live copepods, and it is hard maintaing a culture of pods in such a small tank. I may still try to do it though.

Devs, you should try a nano tank! I know you've wanted one for awhile now. I know how you are, you probably have lots of extra tanks and odds and ends lying around that you could put together to do a saltwater setup. Even if you don't want to get the fancy lighting, you could do a neat little 10 gallon fish only display.

Thanks, the tank is doing pretty well. We had an incident where our heater stopped working and the temp dropped about 6 degrees overnight! We lost some coral to that, unfortunately.

We have since gotten a new heater though and some of our surviving xenia has perked back up. We brought home a tiny acropora last night so I will be keeping a close eye on that too. I will have some more pics since I have been taking a lot lately.

The little cube tank alone was close to $200. The rest didn't really cost us anything since we have multiple marine tanks and just got sand and live rock from those. To buy it the sand would be about $10, the rock would cost probably between $40-50 and the heater would be about $30.

However you'd also want test kits and a hydrometer/refractometer which are rather pricey, too. Saltwater is not necessarily harder than freshwater; it's just different. Cost is one of the major differences.

The little cube tank alone was close to $200. The rest didn't really cost us anything since we have multiple marine tanks and just got sand and live rock from those. To buy it the sand would be about $10, the rock would cost probably between $40-50 and the heater would be about $30.

However you'd also want test kits and a hydrometer/refractometer which are rather pricey, too. Saltwater is not necessarily harder than freshwater; it's just different. Cost is one of the major differences.

The size doesn't matter....they are always going to get pricey!!!! :yeah:

We have an 18w actinic and 18w 10,000k power compact in there. It is okay for Clammy because it is such a shallow tank. Our clam in the 55 gallon didn't do as well because of the depth.

In the nano, the clam is really thriving, always out and open and it has colored up so well! :) You should try one in your tank.

:yikes Well i guess its gonna be a while before i get one then...

LOL Dont feel bad, Peaches! When I was 14, the biggest tank my mom would let me have was a 5 gallon! :rolleyes: I had to wait till I moved out on my own to get all these tanks that I wanted! Even now, price is a big factor. Having a job at a pet store with an employee discount (or dating someone who does) has definite benefits? hint hint. LOL

• 4 weeks later...
Guest chris345

trust me if you want to add fish you need to be a professional. i had saltwater fish b4 and they all died. you need a lot of things like a protein skimmer which cost at lest 300 dollars for a good one and you need a big filter a uv sterilizer saltwater mix that stays in the tank for at least one week b4 addin fish a light a hood and a tank at LEAST 50 galloons for a fish if you want big fish like tangs or seahorses. you can only put like 1 in a tANK like that. trust me they'll die in like a year. if u want them alive get everything i said. :exactly

I like to think I'm somewhat a professional, being that the two of us have been in the hobby and the fish business for years.

Here are some updated shots, including our lovely gorgonian!

gorgsm.jpg