Aquapod Or Nano Cube, Which One?

vmlola

:) With X-Mas around the corner, my son has questioned me a few times along with my husband as to what I would like. :heart (Bless their little hearts) My son has suggested that I dabble with a marine tank! I just think that he likes marine tanks but does not want to care for one himself. He asked how I would feel about either a Nano Cube, 24 gal., or an Aquapod, 24 gal.

So my question is, if I decided that this is indeed something I want to try, which one, if either, is the better choice, and are these sets worth the money? How much other stuff needs to be purchased with the setup? All and all, I'm just wondering if these are a good marine beginner's place to start?

Input or advice will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!! :exactly

You can set up a nano tank .You could put some clown fish in or maybe small shrimp gobies clown/coral gobies.Then theres other things you could put in.However I have found it can take 6 to 12 months for a marine tank to properly settle its cycle

You will also need a hydrometer to test specific gravity/salinity instant ocean marine salt,sand,saltwater master test kit.

Edited by Blue

However I have found it can take 6 to 12 months for a marine tank to properly settle its cycle

Thanks Frazer, so is it best when setting up a marine tank to leave out the fish for that long?

I left mine out for a month tho it does take time for a marine tank to settle especially a smaller one.My fish are happy and healthy.The 6 to 12 month info I found out recently in my search for more marine info.Heres the quote I'm refering to from practical marine fishkeeping

Any newly set up reef is unstable during its early life as the various species of bacteria wax and wane as populations of small critters increase and decrease,until life reachs some sort of balance.This process can take 6 to 12 months.The larger the aquarium the greater the stability.

Edited by Blue

Sounds like it would be a fun new tank to start up, I adore Marine tanks.

Me too! But I have no experience with them so I need to research and see how hard they are to set up and maintain! I go crazy with these goldfish tanks, I think they have an evil plot against me, so will a marine tank send me over the edge?? Oh, that was silly, I was pushed over long before the goldfish!!

Yes, you should definitely try a nano tank! We have the Oceanic 8 gallon cube, and I love it because it comes with everything built into the back. They have a couple larger sizes too but I think the 8 is a perfect size. It fits nicely on my kitchen counter.

Here's a pic:

nano2-1.jpg

The only thing extra we had to buy was a small heater, which fits into the overflow filtration in the back.

We had already-cured live rock in a bigger tank so we just moved it to the nano and it basically cycled instantly. If you can get some good cured live rock then you don't have to wait as long to start adding livestock. However, since you are new to SW tanks you may want to take your time and make sure you have the hang of everything.

We are planning to add a small cardinalfish and firefish to our tank. We have several corals in there already but you definitely want to make sure all your water parameters are perfect before adding any sensitive invertebrates. Anyway, let us know what you decide and be warned, this is a very addicting hobby (which makes it expensive!!).

You have a beautiful nano tank Jen.VM Jen is right be warned it is expensive keeping marine fish but all those wonderful colors :heart

My avatar is pic of some of the fish I have kept.

You have a beautiful nano tank Jen.VM Jen is right be warned it is expensive keeping marine fish but all those wonderful colors

My avatar is pic of some of the fish I have kept.

I know both of you have very preatty marine tanks! I have followed some of your other threads posting pics and all! Thanks for the info!

Are Aquapods and Nano preatty much the same as far as quality and similarity goes?

Just been looking at them both.They both seem good for the marine beginner.I'm leaning towards the nano cube tho I kinda like the aquapod as well.Then you could always have both :D

Edited by Blue

How exciting!! Ive always liked those little cubes for marine fish. They have a setup like that at my LFS and I love it. They have a couple little clowns and some of those saltwater snail things.

Good luck with it! :heart

Good luck with it!

I'm still not sure Erin! My son is determined he get it for me! I'm just nervous about not really knowing much about them, must do my googling this weekend!

Check out ReefCentral.com too for some great saltwater advice. THey have a message board and lots of articles and it's very easy to understand. That may help you decide, too.