Fin Rot Getting Worse, Need Help

ktinal900

:( My largest goldie still has fin rot. The water params have been under control for weeks now and I use Prime water conditioner but his fins have not gotten any better. The fin rot has gotten worse instead and larger chunks of his fins are missing. Still, it has not gotten all the way to his body and would have to take quite a bit more too but I am growing more worried. I tried Maracyn 2 a while ago, but with no results. Anyone have any advice what I should do to prevent the fin rot from getting worse? Help! :(

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 10

Ph Level? 7.5

Ph Level out of the Tap? between 7.0 and 7.5

Tank size and How long has it been running? 30 gal, less than 2 months

What is the name and size of the filter? Aquaclear 300

How often do you change the water and how much? every few days, 25 %

How many fish in the tank and their size? 2, one 7 incher and one 3.5 incher (comets)

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

Any medications added to the tank? No (what's left of the Maracyn has been very diluted now)

Add any new fish to the tank? No

What do you feed your fish? flakes, occasional veggies

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Big fish has fin rot

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, ect..? No, both active

Should I maybe try a medicated food (since he's still eating)? Or maybe try a different kind of medicine? :o

Thanks Glitterfish! I think I will try that... just wondering how much salt do I add to make it 0.02% and do I add salt everyday or just once or a few times? And should I continue with my water changes? I know I read somewhere about doing salt treatments but just can't remember anything they said... :)

Do you have a QT tank? Or a plastic tub you can transfer him to? Add 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. Predissolve it before adding to the tank. 12 hours later, do this again. I would maintain regular water changes. Just add in what you take out with water changes as the salt will not filter out or dissolve out. Its easier to salt a smaller tank than the main tank but if you have nothing to move him to, youll have to salt the large tank.

I heard it takes a while for the fins to grow back... how long do you think it might take if the treatment does work? His fins aren't looking that great... there's ultra skinny little pieces of fin (maybe a millimeter or two long) sticking out among the parts between that have rotted away :( Any way I can tell if it is working? Just as long as it doesn't get worse?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it :)

In a few days you should see improvement. The fins will take awhile to grow back though after the rot is gone. I left my moor in the salt for 2 weeks. His tail looks pretty bad but with good water it will heal.

Good luck! :)

Umm.. I just added the second dose of salt to the tank... and now everytime my big goldie looks at me, he's kind of tilting to the side... should I be worried?? You don't think all that salt is too much on him, do you? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

It's been about two and half weeks since I started the salt treatment and well, I'm not really sure whether the fin rot has gotten worse or what but today I noticed some small holes rotted away in his lower fins :yikes

I'm doing everything I can but I haven't really seen much improvement if any yet :cry1 I've been doing frequent water changes and monitoring the water params but have been fighting this fin rot for over two months now. Does anyone have any idea what else I can do or should I give the salt treatment a couple more weeks? I don't want my fish to lose his fins :cry I just feel so bad... like I failed my fish... :(

What % are you salted at now?

If you're at .2%, leave it at that for another week and see what happens. Any other odd behavior such as flashing, scratching or excessive yawning? Any excessive redness in the fins?

For a while last year my fish were battling fin rot, and in the end I diagnosed a parasite (with a microscope.) Just keep it in the back of your mind...sometimes fin rot developes b/c of a parasite.

Yeah, it's at 0.02% (2 tsp salt per gallon). My goldie seems okay otherwise... his behavior is normal.. he looks normal to the eye minus his ragged fins.. his dorsal fin, pelvic fins and anal fin have taken the most damage..

Just curious... what'd you look at when you used the microscope and ended up diagnosing a parasite?

And where in the world do the parasites come from?? :(

How long did you medicate with Maracyn two? Also, did you try maracyn one? Does it look like the rot has stopped? Is there an edging of white to the fins?

When you scrape a fish and place the slide under a microscope, if there, you'll see the parasites moving on the slide or get a good image of body shape. Then with a good reference guide, you can try and identify what, if any, parasites exist. Sometimes it takes more then one scrape to get an accurate idea. This way, you know exactly what parasite you're dealing with and can treat accordingly.

Where do parasites come from? A lot of them reside in the water or are contracted via communal tanks in fish shops. So a perfectly healthy batch of fish can contract a parasite from an infected tank and it spreads from tank to tank... That's why isolating any new fish helps enormously :)

I just took the gook from my filter and looked for something moving. Lo and behold there are a lot of things moving in there! It took a while, but I finally found the culprit.

Guest danish fantail

sorry to intrude like this but, have you considered that it might be stress i battled a nasty straine of fin rot before i realisede that it was stress due to too few hiding places that were killing my babys. four big plants and a log later it stoppede overnight.

How long did you medicate with Maracyn two? Also, did you try maracyn one? Does it look like the rot has stopped? Is there an edging of white to the fins?

When you scrape a fish and place the slide under a microscope, if there, you'll see the parasites moving on the slide or get a good image of body shape. Then with a good reference guide, you can try and identify what, if any, parasites exist. Sometimes it takes more then one scrape to get an accurate idea. This way, you know exactly what parasite you're dealing with and can treat accordingly.

Where do parasites come from? A lot of them reside in the water or are contracted via communal tanks in fish shops. So a perfectly healthy batch of fish can contract a parasite from an infected tank and it spreads from tank to tank... That's why isolating any new fish helps enormously :)

I medicated the fish with Maracyn 2 for the whole time recommended and then again for another round, as the package said the process could be repeated once if necessary. I haven't tried Maracyn one yet... would you recommend that?

Um... does a white edging to the fins means the rot has stopped? I've been looking at my fish and it seems a bit darker orange around his fins... not sure what this means if anything :unsure:

I'm hoping it's not a parasite... there's really nothing that could have affected my fish except when I tossed in some live plants without disinfecting them first. :yikes After reading something on this forum about live plants, I kind of panicked and took my fish out and cleaned everything 100% and disinfected the plants (this was when I first set up their new 30 gallon home)... but I dunno... since I have done this in the past as I didn't know any better....

And danish fantail, you're not intruding LoL. I appreciate anyone's input... any thoughts to get rid of this fin rot once and for all is very much appreciated :)

Any way you can share pictures?

None of my pics turned out very well but here's a pic of his dorsal fin... not looking good :(

fishdorsalfin.jpg

Another pic.. I outlined it in yellow so it's easier to see what one of the pectoral fin looks like... and there's a couple of small holes I circled and yes, thank goodness, my drawn circles are way larger than the actual holes but still!!! :cry

fishpectoralfin.jpg

Sorry for all the posts here LoL but well, I'm just hoping someone will post again with some more advice for me :) The more I stare at my goldie, the less I'm sure if the rot's gotten better or not... but I'm pretty sure it hasn't gotten any worse this past week... Should I just continue with the salt treatment and forgo trying the Maracyn one?

No, the white/grey edges can mean the rot's still in progress. The edges are looking good - no redness, not splitting etc.

When the rot first started, did it look the way it does now? What I mean is were the finds starting to erode without any redness or white/grey around the edges? The good thing is it doesn't appear bacterial - unless there's other symptoms. If it were, the fins would be shredding and quickly

Is it just the dorsal and ventral fins that are affected? Or are the coudal fins also affected?

What kind of flake food are you feeding?

Yeah, there's never been any white/grey edging, the fins just slowly rotted away little by little :(

His caudal and pectoral fins look like they may be a little affected but its barely noticeable unlike the other fins (so hard to get him to stay still for a good look LoL)... and in my last pic, I meant pelvic fin not pectoral fin :D I keep getting those names mixed up!

If it's not bacterial does it mean it's parasitic?? :blink:

As for food, I'm feeding Wardley Total. I've tried some of the other flakes that have been recommended as even better because of their superior ingredients but my fish never took a liking to them

But.... I think he's constipated :( It's hours before he poos... it's the color of his food but there are air bubbles in it... hoping it will all clear up soon... problem is I'm not sure how many peas should I give him? And how often? He's a 7 inch comet.

I am not very good in diagnosing whether something is bacterial or parasitic....so in your particular case for now I'm gonna leave it to the mods to help in that aspect.

However, as I mentioned previously, I had battled finrot for a while without knowing what the heck was wrong, because everything else was RIGHT! Thus, the eventual positive diagnosis of a parasite.

Now, in regards to your flakes and the bubbles in the poop...are you soaking the flakes at all before putting them in the tank? Whenever I feed flakes, I usually get a little dixie cup, put some tank water in it, put the flakes in the cup and swish around. Get them all wet...then dump in the tank.

As far as peas and how many you should feed them, feed as much as he can eat in a 3 min period. You should first fast your fish for at least 24 hours. Then feed him peas for the next day or two.

Omega one pellets are a good alternative to the flakes.

If it were me, I would continue salting for another week and see how it progresses.

Archived