How Do You Clean Tubing?

I want to clean the tubing on my Eheim, but don't know how. I don't want to take the tubing off the filter, VERY hard to get off and on! It's clear and you can see stuff in there and it gross. :P

thanks for any advice!

Can you use one of those flexible cleaning brushes with the heavy nylon line and a (usually) white brush on the end? It's the type normally used for cleaning the intake tube on a HOB filter. If it's long enough for your tubing, it would mean disconnecting the tubing at one end.

Edited by br553

I disconnected all mine and ran a stiff piece of plastic through. I twisted it around the end of the long flexible brush they always give you with a new filter, and pulled it back through.

While it is true that the green hosing that comes with the Eheim did not collect nearly as much gunk as the clear tubes I use for the UV unit, they still had far more mulm in them than I expected. The green color does dramatically limit the algae growth, but does not stop the "artery clogging" mulm....

If you do not wish to disconnect the hoses, you can open it up and run a cleaning rag through much the same way a bassoon bocal cleaner is used. Run a string through to the other end. Tie a bit of rag - very small - on the end and pull it back. You may have to pull it two or three times through, rinisng each time, but it will clean it well.

:)

Y'know, I should have thought of that.... I used to be in band (trumpet player) and we sat right behind the clarinet section who had cleaning rags like that. Time get get constructive! Thanks Daryl!

Mmmmmm.... trumpet players are the best kissers! Tell that to your boyfriend! My hubby is a cornet player!!!! I love it! Double reed players are good too! ;)

Yup - band and music experience has so many wonderful repercussions in life!!! :rolleyes::rofl

This may be true, but the green tubing from the Ehiem does not get as algae-y because of the color. You also must choose - the cheaper stuff quoted above is thin-walled. It has a tendency to pinch shut as it goes around curves/corners. The thick walled tubing is much more like the green stuff, costs a bit more, and you must measure ID not OD for fit. It is much better for tank/filter use.

I just generally tend to be a reuse, recycle, clean it yourself kinda person. If there is nothing wrong with the tubing - why not just clean it?

:)

Mmmmmm.... trumpet players are the best kissers! Tell that to your boyfriend!

I will make sure to! :) I had always heard that, but I can't tell for certain since I can't kiss myself.

Some of the boys that I was in bad with would make you sorta :ill

:rofl