Catching Fish

tonya

Today I finally moved my fish (two of them, Rocky needs some treatment, he will stay in old tank for few days), and it was so upseting for me, because I know that catching fish with net isn't good solution, but I tried with transparent bag, cup and pot, and it just didn't work. I was upset because I tortured them, and they were upset, too. So, I had to use net and I hated it. How can I catch my fish next time without so much stress?

How big is your fish?

Nets can often be abrasive that is why most will recommend a bowl or tupperware container.

I have found taking the lid off completely helps. I have also found to feed the fish right before. That way they are on the bottom (of course this only works if you have the gf trained to eat in one spot) preoccupied and not paying attention to what I am doing.

Guest Frau Squid

I always just use my bare hands to catch my goldfish. Much easy then a net and I think it's less likely to hurt them. Only works on goldfish,though. There is no way I could catch my tropicals with my hands, they are way to fast. It makes my husband laugh when he see's me catch my goldies, he says they're too fat to get away.

Catch them w/ your hand? Interesting. It doesn't remove much of their slimecoat? I have only had to move my gf once so I used a net. I have also read that some people will use the net to 'steer' them into a big cup. Something w/o clear sides so they don't see much of what you're doing and then become agitated. One of my bettas will actually swim right into the net. : )

Guest Frau Squid

Catch them w/ your hand? Interesting. It doesn't remove much of their slimecoat? I have only had to move my gf once so I used a net. I have also read that some people will use the net to 'steer' them into a big cup. Something w/o clear sides so they don't see much of what you're doing and then become agitated. One of my bettas will actually swim right into the net. : )

I don't think removes very much of their slime coat. I try to be quick and gentle, so I don't actually have them in my hands for very long. I definitely think it's less harmful then a net but if you can quickly get them in a container that works great too, especially for smaller goldfish. I prefer to use my hands because my fish are very hand tame don't seem afraid when I hold them. When I would try to catch them with a cup it would really freak them out and I would end up chasing them all over the tank, which seemed more stressful.

My oranda is tame enough that I'm able to cup him with my hands and lift him out of the water if needed. I prefer to catch by hand when I can because it seems less stressful to the fish (and to myself). My comets and commons are too flighty so I would have no choice but to use a net. Fourtunately, I very, very rarely have a need to catch them but when I do, I have a 10x10 green net that I use.

Edited by br553

my goldfish are thankfully well trained now so they will swim in my palm every so often when i cup my hands in the tank. though when i move my fish, i use a 1 litre container. ill have the container in the water, then put my hand in the water, when the fish come to my hand, i slowly move in with the white container and slowly scoop them up. this way, theres very little physical contact with the fish so theres less chance of hurting them. i can do this with my ranchu, my common, and one of my orandas. the other oranda, which is newer to the tank, i can't get him to do it yet. he won't even eat from my hands yet, though he knows it means food. if i ever just want to look at the fish up close, ill get them to come to my palm, and ill make a container with both hands, but keep it in the water.

my goldfish are thankfully well trained now so they will swim in my palm every so often when i cup my hands in the tank. though when i move my fish, i use a 1 litre container. ill have the container in the water, then put my hand in the water, when the fish come to my hand, i slowly move in with the white container and slowly scoop them up. this way, theres very little physical contact with the fish so theres less chance of hurting them. i can do this with my ranchu, my common, and one of my orandas. the other oranda, which is newer to the tank, i can't get him to do it yet. he won't even eat from my hands yet, though he knows it means food. if i ever just want to look at the fish up close, ill get them to come to my palm, and ill make a container with both hands, but keep it in the water.

Yes but you have to be very careful not to drop fish :)

I catch my fish by hand. I wash my hands and then I wet them in the tank before I handle the fish. The rare times I have had to move them from tank to the bucket dedicated for aquarium use or from the bucket to tank, either regular or quarantine has been fine. I hold the fish with one and cup it with the other and am quick with the transfer. Better than scratching them with a net. :)

Edited by goldenlady

Mine are so used to being futzed with that they, too, will let me lift them by hand with the minimum of fuss. I kinda scoop them to the surface with one hand, and then grab them with both - one in the front and one in the back. They go directly into a bucket of water that has been drawn from their own tank. Then they are taken to where they are going, and scooped up to be put quickly into the new volume of water.

I have occasionally had one that is not used to being handled, or, in the case of Kermit, is positively psycho. That fish usually is scooped with a container.

I sink the container sideways into the tank. Then I gently convince the fish with my hand to go into the container. The larger the container, the better. Kermit needs a 2 gallon bucket before he will go anywhere.....

Other fish simply need the repetition so that they get used to hands - hands in there cleaning, hands feeding, hands moving things, hands grabbing them to look at them for various problems, etc. They figure it out with in a week or so....

I wear a lot of rings. It is wise to remove all your rings before you grab a fish.

My fish are scared of my hands! Yes, they eat from my fingers, but that's it. I've tried to teach them to sit in my hand and, of course, they ran. And they're very, very fast. How can I train my fish to get used to my hands?

My fish are scared of my hands! Yes, they eat from my fingers, but that's it. I've tried to teach them to sit in my hand and, of course, they ran. And they're very, very fast. How can I train my fish to get used to my hands?

when you feed them, you can submerge more of your hand every so often. that way they'll get used to the rest of your hand while you feed them. you can eventually put the rest of the fingers under the feeding fingers, kinda like a platform that they have to go over. they should eventually be used to your hand being in there and around them.

Guest patchthefantail

yea, many places and people have told me it's better to catch them with your bare hands cause it doesn't remove as much slime coat. Mine usually come right up to my hands so I can grab them. The only one I HAVE to use a net to catch is my 6 in. pleco. He's a fast lil booger. :)

My fish aren't scared of my hands either, whenever I am in there cleaning or moving something the nosey little boogars are very interested in my hands AND what I am up to. But on the rare occasion I have had to catch one to move it I always use a net. I do not chase them with it, I go very gently. Then I scoop them up & support them with my hands (usually hubby is helping me). One of us mans the net the other holds the fish. I always use a net that is much bigger than the fish. Then I gently place them back in the water & watch them to make sure they are ok. ((Then I usually have to go rest cause it really stresses ME out!!)) :blink:

It is not that using a net is a bad...it is that using a net improperly is bad. Some people are quite good at handling their fish so a net isn't necessary. Some people might be scared of the idea of touching the fish in that case using a net would be safer. It might be hard to handle a fish if you aren't accustomed to doing that.

I just felt we don't want to make anyone think netting is bad thing.

Edited by Jeana727

I had a lot of trouble netting Dickey, he always lost a scale or two. Since I last posted on this topic He has improved tremendously. We don't have stressful water changes any more.

First of all, He is more used to my hand and arm in the tank now, that just happened over time.

secondly, I don't take him out until the water is lower, that way I don't have to chase him around in 20 gallons.

I just gently guide him into a clear plastic bowl and scoop him right out, water and all.

Lastly and most importantly: The bowl has a lid! I put it on right away so he can't see as much movement

above him. I am convinced that what he can't see wont hurt him. He still doesn't like the bowl, but he takes it all in stride now.

When he goes back in.. I just tip out most of the water into the bucket and dip the bowl into the tank, he jsut swims out. we both love it!

and before anyone worries...............the bowl is a microwave bowl that has a vent hole in the lid. Luckily the vent hole is just the right size for an air hose! I usually put a small bubbler in with him.

I think a 'fish handling' glove or rubber net would be your best bet if you're worried about there slime coat. I usually just catch mine in a small gladware container, or use my hands. My fish usually stay very still once they're out of the water. I keep them off to the side in the covered containers until I am done cleaning.