Sign in to follow this  
MissyDraven

Mystery Fry

This is, I'm sure, one of the weirdest stories you'll read all day.

I wanted to hatch out some mystery snail eggs, so I took a clutch from the top of my goldfish aquarium and set it up in its own container. I sat the eggs on a block of styrofoam and floated the whole thing with water from one of my aquariums. I don't remember if I got the water from my goldfish tank or from my tropical tank. Either way, it's been a week and my egg hatch I think has failed. However, last night I saw a very small fry of some kind in the water I put in with the eggs! I have no idea if this is a baby goldfish or a guppy. This baby's maybe 3 or 4 mm long and is healthy, active and (I think) eating. I've been feeding it First Bites which I have leftover from my betta spawn back in April and changing the water with a turkey baster just to keep it fresh. Any ideas?

Told ya this is a weird one.

hmm, it's a good news. It is a gold fish fry since guppy doesn't give birth in the egg form.. Congrat!!!

Congrats on the baby keep us posted with baby's progress :)

baby fishy is still alive, doing well... I'll post some good pics when my close up lens arrives on Monday. Meanwhile I'll try with my camera as is. Are y'all sure it's a goldfish? I mean, don't goldfish usually get breeding stars, etc. before spawning? I can't even really tell gender on my guys and I haven't noticed any spawn type behavior. On the other hand, I know my guppy's constantly pregnant..... naughty guppies.

The only way to tell is with a pic or 2... Or have a look at some other fry threads and compare the shape etc.. they all look the same at this age :D Congratulations by the way :D

there's still not much change in how mystery baby is looking. As ususal when my fish breed (always accidently) I'm just winging it as best I can. Sorry to all those who want pics, it's still too tiny to get a good shot.

thats excellent..I wish you the best with that....I hope you get some pics soon..I am glad my goldies didnt bred this year cause my area had soo much trouble with power outages htis summer nad I am jsut getting my tanks back to normal...I lost most of my fry and most of them breeding parents because of it...but the fry(a lil over one year now) that remain are getting just as big as the parents.....and I am loving it