Sign in to follow this  
Celeste123

Do You Like To Buy Babies Or Adults?

Who out there prefers to get their goldfish as babies and raise them up to stunning adults, and who would rather get their goldfish as mature adults allready? Why?

Personally I like to buy babies and raise them up. It gives me a sense of satisfaction and triumph! Plus I feel more of a relationship with the fish. (However, some adults I see are so beautiful I will surely get one too.)

I love to have a small size around 2". First of all, the price for that size is fair enough for me. I want to raise them to become 6+ inchers by myself which is a lot of fun.

For the big fish, I would get it only if I really really like it.

I prefer babies to. Its so cool watching them grow up :)

I usually go for size. But sometimes you can't know how old fish are or what kind of conditions they have been kept in. Mainly, I used to buy big fish that seemed to be developed. I just bought a baby ranchu, however, so I am going to do right by it and see if its wen and pompons will grow into something interesting. I'm feeding my fish blood worm for high protein, Pro-Gold, Spirulina, fresh lettuce, peas and who knows what's next! Do any of you have a successful food for wen development? How about Hikari Oranda food? :D

I will take a nice baby anytime it is available. Unfortunately, most things come in larger sizes.....

I have no preference. I've gotten baby ranchus and an XL Oranda. They both have equal pros and cons. It's fun to have both for the contrast in the tank anyway :)

Babies for me!

I love to watch them grow.

Frida, my fantail was barely and inch when I got her a year ago now shes almost 4 and passing up my blackmoor in length too. But he is stunted, sadly.

:) I have bought both! I love the babies :heart when I can find healthy ones in healthy tanks, but I have also bought some bigger fish from ebay sellers! It just depends on what I'm looking for and what catches my eye when I'm out looking!

I generally get babies like everyone else said, it's fun to watch them grow. The only time I would get a mature fish would be if I was looking for a panda or something with distinct markings for a little more assurance that they would keep them.

Ive purchased both. Whichever catches my eye. :)

I find I'm attracted to size, so older suits me best. You know exactly what you're getting and they're so CUTE! On the other side I think next time I get goldfish (hopefully in a very long time) I'll try babies, just so I can see um grow. I like to experience both sides of the coin!

i like babies - i like watching them grow up. and the bigger the fish more stress in transport i believe.... and of course price :lol

I like to get babies also. It's fun to watch them grow.

However, I would like to get one big ole tricolor ryukin at some point . . . .

My fish were all rescued and range from less then an inch to 5 inches. I love them all, my big guys all have their own personalities and I adore them and have so much fun with them. I love my little guys as well so resilliant and interesting to watch daily, especially when they change colours!

Recently I've been looking at all types of goldies in the petstore today I saw no less then at least 12 fish fully pineconed and it was very sad. As well as ragged or no tails. I'm wondering if its easier to get them when they are smaller and perhaps healthier? Being they've been in a pet store for a much shorter time.

Definately I like to get babies!! I got some babies that where bred by Sorsha! I have enjoyed watching them grow! I also got 2 baby Lionheads that where imported from China!! Can't wait to watch them grow into big ole bull dogs!!

My star goldie, Big Boy, was a young goldie when I got him, now he is a big, beautiful Oranda! I am proud of him!!!Spot is a common that I got from my daughter, he was small...now he is a beautiful big fish! I like it when people come into my living room & say WOW look at THOSE goldfish!!

I have never gotten a fish that was already big.....but that's just me!! :exactly

I prefer mature goldfish, but I will buy a smaller/baby if it shows potential.

i dont really care what size fish i buy. i buy what ever catches my eye and what i like.

:D I have to agree with that.It's all about what you find attractive.I've seen little ones to die for,but sometime you can't help but want the end results. :yeah:

Two of my three were bought as babies. I bought LengYu when she was mature because she was so beautiful when we met at an auction sale I just had to bring her home. Squishy was a rescue fish. All her tankmates had died of some pet store disease and my buddy who works there said I could just have her for free and give her a fighting chance. She was maybe 2 inches long when I got her and she's grown considerably since. Jack was an impulse buy. I saw his one black eye and thought "Pirate fish!!" My loaches each have a story, but this thread is about goldfish.

Ok, here goes. I wanted a loach and I picked Zoidberg because he was the healthiest and most active one there. He practacally jumped outta the tank when I walked by. "Pick me!" and his tankmate Quasi had been in the pet shop for months. Poor lil guy has a deformed back (hence the name) and nobody wanted him. I even heard a little kid go "eew, what's wrong with that eel? Gu-rosss" But now he's in a tank where looks don't matter and I love him senseless.