Jump to content

"aging" Tap Water For Water Changes


Recommended Posts

  • Regular Member

I'll need to use about US4 Gallons of water a week to keep a Betta container fresh. It looks like the water quality is pretty good where I live, and the Water District uses chlorine instead of chloramines (http://www.irwd.com/WaterQuality/WQReport2006.pdf). I'll call them to confirm the details today.

Anyway, I will be leaving water out in a 14 liter tub to "age" so the chlorine can out-gas. I just wanted to know how long it takes for the chlorine to dissipate. I read "overnight" in one place and "24 hours" another.

I want to get it right, so I'll put this out there for you smart folks.

1. How long should tap water be left out to "age" before it's safe for fish?

2. Does it matter if I fill the tub with hot water or cold water?

Thanks!

TFR23.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

i dont know the answers for sure, sorry, but i do know that you shouldnt use hot water out of the tap unless you are 100% sure u dont have copper pipes. And i think it takes 24 hrs for the chlorine to leave the water

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

It may also depend if you cover the water- quicker if you dont -but I cover mine to keep dust out...for 24 hours -longer the better I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I think 24hrs is optimum, aeration would help but it's not mandatory as chlorine breaks down quickly in light. Put it this way, would you drink water that had been standing for 24hrs? The only way to be 100% sure is to get a chlorine test kit - I think dechlorinator would be cheaper. lol

edit: Mooreman, copper pipes will leach copper into the water and this will build up to toxic levels in the fishes blood over time and poison them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I think 24hrs is optimum, aeration would help but it's not mandatory as chlorine breaks down quickly in light. Put it this way, would you drink water that had been standing for 24hrs? The only way to be 100% sure is to get a chlorine test kit - I think dechlorinator would be cheaper. lol

edit: Mooreman, copper pipes will leach copper into the water and this will build up to toxic levels in the fishes blood over time and poison them.

Sorry if I am hijacking this topic but is this only for hot water or is it for both(hot and cold is)? Is there anything I can do to get ride of this toxic water.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...