Sign in to follow this  
Ranchugirl

Spongefilter

*Ingredients* -

- Powerhead from nnnnnn (170 gl/h, 19 bucks)

- plumbing pipe in the length you desire and the size of the intake of the

powerhead

- # 1 sponges from Aquaclear 500

- drill

- rubber band

- small piece of panty hose

Cut the pipe to the length you want the sponge filter in, and drill holes all over the pipe with a small drill bit (is that what you call it? :rolleyes: ), and I do mean lots of holes, 100s!! (Well, you get my point)

Cut holes into the middle of the sponges, in the size of the diameter of the pipe, and push the sponges over the pipe, so that the sponges cover the holes that are in the pipe.

Cut a small piece of panty hose, a bit bigger than the diameter of the pipe, hold it over one end of the pipe, and secure it with the rubberband.

Push the other end of the pipe onto the intake of the powerhead, put the whole thing into your aquarium/pond, plug it in, and VOILA! The suction of the powerhead will draw any uneaten food and poop into the sponges, where they get stuck. The water flows then through the holes and the pipe through the powerhead and out the other end! The suction will also prevent the pipe from slipping off of the powerhead.

Cleaning is easy as well. Unplug the powerhead, take the homemade filter out of the tank/pond, take the pipe off, and rinse half the pipe in old tank water, do the other half the following week. :panana

Guest spyhawk

Could you take a picture of the one you made Ranchugirl? Will this work in my 55 gallon?

Antony, I am not able to take a picture right now, since we live in Kissimmee, and a lot of our ponds are still in Ft. Lauderdale.

But I managed to make a simple drawing from it, I hope its easy to read. I am not exactly the Picasso of painters.... :rofl

Antony, I am not able to take a picture right now, since we live in Kissimmee, and a lot of our ponds are still in Ft. Lauderdale.

But I managed to make a simple drawing from it, I hope its easy to read. I am not exactly the Picasso of painters.... :rofl

65729[/snapback]

I can't find the attached picture. Any ideas?

Tim

Tim, gotta find it again - its on my other puter.... :)

Guest FinnyFinnedFriend

will this work in almost any large set up?