Sign in to follow this  
black tail

Want To Make Your Fish Smater?

when feeding your fish get two bits of coulerd card.

When you are feeding your fish feed them to on side of the tank so one coulerd card has food floating on its side and one has none if you do this for a while gradually your fish will be able to tell the difference between the colors! :D

and if it sucseeds put the card up to the tank even when its not feeding time and they will all swim towards it! :rofl

Lol - thankfully I've never had high expectations for the intelligence of my guys and as long as they're happy and docile then so am I :D

On a serious note, be careful when experimenting with things like this because most inks are poison to fish so perhaps if you do wish to try this theory, use 2 different coloured bowls that have had no soaps or chemicals on them :)

Well that doesn't mean that they're smarter :D they just learned to do an amusing trick

that doesnt necessarily mean they r smarter, you're just conditioning them to respond to a certain stimulus.

It's the same as scientists and psychologists teching pigeons and rats to push buttons with red and green lights to get food.

And it's the reason that your goldies swim to you when you're near the tank, they know that you=food!!

Edited by katmad

actually it sounds dumb buuuuut it is actually proven that it does make them smarter! if you teach a pet with colors it will make them smarter! You van try it on dogs etc ( it was proven on some science show :D )

It will make them seem 'smarter' as they have learnt a reaction to the stimulus. Colours are often used with other animals to train them, such as lights to indicate when food is available.

It is impressive that golfish learn things like this, but essentially it's the same as training any animal.

Just because they have been trained and conditioned doesn't make the animal any more intelligent really, just more capable.

A trained animal may learn new tricks faster as a result of previous conditioning, bit an untrained animal (of the same breed) has the same mental capacity and potential to be taught as the trained animal.

It is a cool trick tho, and good to impress your friends and family with.

It is a cool trick tho, and good to impress your friends and family with.

ahhhh my first complment :heart

ive trained my goldies to go to a certain area of the surface water when iraise my hands infront of the tank. no prizes for gessing

how lol.

this summer i have a lot of free time on my hands so i'm planning on trainin my betta to jump and swim through hoops since he's ready to jump a few centimeters out of the water to bite food out of my hand, often inacuratley to my dismay :D

I bet that's fun to watch!

Goldfish don't only react to what they see. Mine react to my voice. They don't see me, but when I speak to my dog, everyone comes to the front, to find out where exactly I am. They are hoping for food of course :D

As Jen said, be careful when putting anything dyed or with any chemical in it into the tank. it can be seriously harmful.

My goldies are happy, friendly and healthy so I don't care how smart they are, lol. But a pretty neat trick anyway.

I don't know if this is a trick, but in the mornings when I get up its still dark. They are in the living room, but even when I walk into the kitchen to turn on the light they are flying around begging at the glass for food. It cracks me up as I know that when I have gone into the living room at night while its still dark that they are asleep. So I think they are smart enough to know when food is on the way!