Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wessie

Inbreeding ?

Guest Wessie

Since many people have successful breeding goldfish at home. Do you goldfish are likely to have inbreeding problem ? :o

well im a little confused about your question.

well, its not very easy to breed goldies. many people arent sucsessful. just because they dont breed means that they have an inbreeding problem. your fish may have be too young or you may not be different sexes.

Do you mean to ask if any problems or deformities occur due to inbreeding goldfish?

Problems just don't happen because two animals happen to be brother or sister (or whatever). Inbreeding problems occur because gene pools become severly limited and the probability of having children with genetic problems or deformities becomes higher.

I think generally in fish breeding, problems or deformities get culled pretty quickly.

I wonder if that helps. ^_^;;

Guest BayBeeBoiz2

i heard that it wouldnt matter if they are brother or sister because they are fish...im not for sure but i think because they are fish they can still mate with any other goldfish.correct me if im wrong.

Guest Wessie

i heard that it wouldnt matter if they are brother or sister because they are fish...im not for sure but i think because they are fish they can still mate with any other goldfish.correct me if im wrong.

OK

You know like brother / sister or Mum / Son or Dad / Daughter ? GROSS !!!!!

Edited by Wessie

i think that would be kinda difficult to imbreed on the first breed, because there's a very big tankful of fish so that means your less liekly to choose a pair of related goldies.

There are definately reasons to inbreed goldfish - brother to sister, son to mother, daughter to father.....

If you have a particular trait in a fish - a spectacular father or something, you can help "set" this trait in your line of fish by crossing a daughter back to the father fish. Your chances of getting babies closer to Dad's look or type are much greater this way.

Lines of fish that are related are often created this way. It is helpful to have two or more "lines" so they can be crossed back together to avoid to close inbreeding.

It does not have to be a bad thing, as long as it is done with thought and reason.

crossing daughter with father..... kinda naugthy....

anyway, feeding high protein food such as bloodworms encourage fish to release their eggs.

inbreeding is kinda normal in animal kingdom, isn't it?

It certainly cant be compared to people :) . There must as daryl says be inbreeding to produce identical or wanted features.

Inbreeding is common with all pedigree breeds of animal.I only have to look at my dogs pedigrees to match up names on both sides just so correct type could be maintained.Not sure how this issue affects goldfish but from my knowledge of breeding dogs mating fathers to daughters and vice versa must be done with great care and only by experienced breeders.