Are Neon Tetra Hard To Take Care Of ?

alexiscool

i wanted some neon tetras but the people at the pet store says they are very hard to take care of is that true or are they lieing :exactly it is for my futrue tanks :)

please post :) many thanks :D

fishcrazy :D

Edited by fishcrazy

Neons like mature tanks so it must be at least 6 months old. They dont do well in young set ups and a lot of neons are usually sick when you see them in shops.

If you want some for the future you must look at all the tetras in the tank and make sure they are healthy and none are faded or look thin.

Guest VanillaOranda

well, one of my little neons just died... but the others are all doing really well! I think one of the important things is to get them bigger... at my lfs theres like "large" or "small"ones... I bought 10 of the "large" ones for 20$ and they are like 40cents more, but they are a ot more sturdy. I think that the larger ones are more expensive because of their sisters/brothers that died as they were smaller... the surviving ones are the sturdy ones. So get those!

I guess you know, keep them no less than 4 together. I have 12 and they stick together alright! also, someone else said they like aged tanks. unfortunatly, I only had this bit of information after having put them in. None of mine died because of that (although my parents killed 2 by overfeeding! :krazy: ) at the start. and they get big pretty fast. at the start it was funny because they couldnt eat the lil tropical pellets, they just chased them around and I fed them flakes, but now they can eat the lil pellets! yey

so, just dont be like me and overstock them (but dont get less than 4!) and be sure that the tank is at least a month old and well cycled! take care not to overfeed as you know, watch the water, etc.

but bottom line, I have found them a sturdy little fish :of the 6 that went through my parents' poisoning my water with like A BILLION times too much food in July, only 2 died, I still have the 4 others today!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

In my experience they are kinda like a hit or miss...i bought 5 about a year ago...the 2 smallest ones died...i recently bought 6 and the 3 largest died in the qt...and the 3 really tiny guys survived?? I think some of them are just really sensitive while others have proven very hardy. I think if they survive about of month in the qt then they will be with u for a long time. :D

In my experience they are kinda like a hit or miss...i bought 5 about a year ago...the 2 smallest ones died...i recently bought 6 and the 3 largest died in the qt...and the 3 really tiny guys survived?? I think some of them are just really sensitive while others have proven very hardy. I think if they survive about of month in the qt then they will be with u for a long time. :D

thanks so it is like 50 50 :unsure: right ...

don't get too discouraged...it's just been my experience...i think they are great fish to have, you may want to consider getting glow light tetras, they are like neons but with an orange stripe. They tend to be more hardy than the neons, again this is just my experience.

I have 5 neons and i just put them in a new 18ltr tank (They were in a 5ltr tank previously as the 15ltr tank I had them in sprung a leak), and I added 'Bio-cycle' Does that stuff really work in aging the tank?

Edited by selena685

Now bio cycle is a hit or miss :rolleyes: Sometimes it will help to just start the cycle (not completely) and sometimes it does nothing at all. If there is a privately owned fish store near you, I recomend seeing if they carry refrigerated Bio-spira. It's the same thing but is usually much more effective.

Now bio cycle is a hit or miss :rolleyes: Sometimes it will help to just start the cycle (not completely) and sometimes it does nothing at all. If there is a privately owned fish store near you, I recomend seeing if they carry refrigerated Bio-spira. It's the same thing but is usually much more effective.

whats that can u get a pic? :bingo: