Oranda Color Fading

Guest SeeQuee

Guest SeeQuee

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about color fading. I have read through a few of the other posts addressing color and havent found an answer...I have an red oranda who has black fins. Well, his black fin color has been fading. I read about the light that can be used to enhance the black color but I dont have live plants in my tank. Is there something else that can be done? I feed Pro Gold pellets.

Thank You,

Stephani

Black is the most unstable color in goldfish. What you're seeing is that your Red Oranda,will soon be a completely Red Oranda.There's really not anything that you can do about it,but love him as he is. :)

Guest SeeQuee

Oh good! I was worried that maybe I was not feeding him something he needs. I am not concerned if he loses his black unless is lacking!! Thanks!

Stephani

when my 30 gallon tank sprung a leak(again), i moved my 3 fish into a bucket because it was all i had. i believe it was around 10 or so gallons. it had no light and was coloured white. after maybe 3 days of being in there(the water was cycled and everything, and had a proper cycled filter) i noticed that the oranda, which had black accents on its tail, was losing its black and the tail even split abit. i assumed one of the fake plants split the tail because it is one of those plastic ones with pinecone like leaves, so i removed it from the tank. then the next day i went out and bought a 25 gallon bucket to use as a temporary home(which theyre still in. i really need to get a new setup soon). the next day the black in the orandas tail was back and was perhaps even sharper than before. afew days after that the tails rip was healed too. i'm not sure what fixed the fish, but it was either the upping of the tank size, the addition of lights, or the change of colour in the tubs. I actually think tub colour effects goldfish, much like how room colour can effect humans. goldfish probably still have wild instincts in them, and i believe colour/space is something that they still prefer. i thnk(and im just taking wild guesses here) that fish don't actually like clear walled tanks or white tubs. i believe that gives them a sense of being in the open and in plain site, which is probably something they don't want to be in the wild. the reason i think this is because my tank was 30 gallons, and the tub i currently have them in is only 25 gallons, and yet they seem toooons happier. theres a clear difference in their attitudes. when they were in the tank, they would slowly swim around or stay in the same spot almost lifelessly, but now, they are much more livelier and active. i believe the blue colour of the bucket makes them feel like theyre in an actual environment, like in a pond, whereas when they were in the glass tank, i believe they felt they were in a world they didn't belong with no walls and no real sense of space. i also once had to seperate one of the fish for aggressiveness and i put him into a red bucket. the instant i put him in there he stopped swimming and wouldn't even move. i also put my other fish in there for afew minutes when i first got them, and they too were almost in a visual dead state. perhaps red has a similar effect that a glass tank has, but to a further extreme, or perhaps promotes the feeling of loneliness? perhaps one day ill conduct an experiment with tank colours and fish behavior.

ok, this post went totally off topic, but ya, from my experience, light seems to have a large impact on pigment (and perhaps fin strenght?), and seems to effect it almost instantly

I wondered about your theory that fish may see colors. The fish lure makers seem to agree that fishes eyes have both cones (which distinguish color) and rods (which distinguish ligh and dark). Red is the longest light wave length, and penetrates water well. As a matter of fact, in murky, turbid water red is the only color that will penetrate. So fish do see red. Blue can be seen best in clear water, according to the article writer I read at: :)http://www.egblures.com/dofish.html