Common Goldfish

tmntfan2003

Guest 2 commons

If you have the space for them I see them as good as any other goldfish. Just make sure you have the space for them to swim. My 10 cent goldfish are now about 10 inches long.

yes, common goldish get very large, much larger than fancies. Although they can be hardier than fancie they generally need larger tanks. while 10 gallons is recommended per fancy, 20 is recommended per common but even than one common would get too large for a 20 gallon tank. Personally I wouldn't keep them unless I had a pond to move them too when they got big, but I know people do keep them successfullly in aquariums. They need to be big though. they are strong swimmers an dlike lots of swimming space, and grow very very large.

I just rescued 13 comets, some of which I suspect have been mixed with fancies along the road. They require huge tanks...I will be digging a pond come the spring for now my big fellas are in rubber maid tubs and the little fellows are divided between two tanks.

I have a 250 gallon tank on my Christmas list and meanwhile am getting another tank on monday.

I think my fish are beautiful and haven't really given a thought to the price tag they come with.

3 of my goldies are the 12 cent commons. I orginally bought them over three years ago to start up my tank. 2 of them are about 9 or 10 inches long and one is about 7 inches.

Personally, I like Commons / Comets more than fancy goldfish. Thats just me and my personal taste though (I like my fish to look like... well... fish). If I could have found one, I'd have gotten a nice, plain, (wild-colored) goldfish for my current tank - I think it would look nice with the natural rocks and anacharis plants.

The current occupant of my 20g tank is a comet (with surprisingly even color considering I selected him by the "Drop a flake into the store tank and the first one to grab it gets scooped up" method), and if past experience is any guide I've got 2 (maybe 3) years before he starts wanting a 40g tank or a big ol' pond to splash around in.

I do think that commons are more prone to the "I'm bored - I'm going to trash my tank" behavior (my ex's fish would routinely pull plants out of the gravel and drag them around the tank to get attention), but I think that having to re-bury my plants sometimes isn't too much of a price to pay :)

Guest 2 commons

My commons were aproxamately 1 1/2 inches when i bought them. They are about 3 or 4 years old. They reside in a nice 90 gallon tank at the moment and will next summer be enjoying the space of the 1500 gallon pond i built this summer.

When I was younger I always attracted to Comet but now I like Common. They look very tight and fast swimmer very hardy. :) I like especially red and white colour or bi something.

Edited by Wessie

I believe common goldfish will do best for you in a pond. They are much more active and agile than the facier varieties and really benefit from the extra space. They can grow to ten to twelve inches.

common and commet goldfish can get 12-14 inches and need at least 20 gallons of water. :) but when the fish gets its full size, it can live in 20 gallons, but even that may get a little cramped, so they go best in a rather large tank or a pond. :)

Guest wyattpetgirl

I'm getting 6-8 25-cent goldfish in 5 days & yes i have a large enough tank(sorry, but everybody always asks about that!).

:)

Edited by wyattpetgirl

Guest Fred Sambo

i have a commom whom i love, although he shares a 20GAL with a fancy. he needs more room to swim, but i just don't have the space for a larger aquarium.

i had two black moors for many, many years in that same aquarium, my current fish were gifts so i had no choice. the common is still only between 3 and 4 inches long, but he cruises around quickly and bullies my fancy at feeding time.

so i need to find a solution. i'd hate to have to separate them but that may be just what i'll have to do, putting the fancy in the 10GAL that i have for a quarantine tank and letting the common go in the 20GAL. or maybe i'll try and find a 'tall' 30GAL to put them in.

anyway, i love my common goldfish mr. whiskers...

goldfish05.png

Edited by Fred Sambo

:D Your Common is quite pretty. I don't want to burst any bubble here,but buying tall tanks for Goldfish doesn't help them a whole let,even if there is more gallonage in the tank.They need as much surface area as they can get,and actual swimming room Especiaaly Commons....

Commons are long bodied,fast moving fish,and therefore the best tanks for them are the longer ones.The longer,the better. :) Just has to do with body mechanic's.....that's just the way they swim. :D

Start checking out garage sales,your local papre's,and even llok on Frre cycle for the town that you live in.You may get lucky. :exactly

I advertised on free cycle for a fish tank,and ending up getting a 40 gal. w/stand 3 20 gal.s with a stand to hold 2,and 2 ten gallon tanks with a stand included,and didn't have to pay a dime but the gasoline it took to pick it up.I had so many offers,that I actually had to turn some of them down,if you can believe that. :thud Of course I allready have about 15 tanks running,and I'm not counting all the smaller tanks sitting empty.. :krazy:

Free cycle is a great place.They basically do what it says,,Recycle for free.You may be surprised with how many people buy fish tanks for Xmas,kill the fish,and never use them again,and they're sitting in somones garage.There are requirements though.In order to ask for something,you first have to offer something.My first offer was a box of old Romance Novels. :rofl

WONDERFUL THREAD! First of all, what I think of Common Goldies and Comets is that, with the opportunity, fortitude and capability of keeping any aquarium fish that I would like, there is no fish in the world more appealing to me than well-proportioned, Common Goldfish or Comets. There is something about the streamlined simplicty, balance and symmetry of these fish that leaves me in awe. They are like God's, perfect little creatures. Living works of art. And that's what I think of Common Goldfish and Comets! Nothing else for me.

Comon Goldies and Comets do get bigger than Fancy Goldfish, BUT given the same care that any truly special fish would require [they are special due to their size], these fish CAN be accomodated in aquariums. In Asian cities such as Hong Kong, Singapore and Tokyo where pond space is available only to the very wealthy, even show quality "pond" fish, including Koi and larger varieties of Goldfish are kept in optimally cared for aquariums. I have that from Koi collectors who have been there to see it. An aquaintance has been to the home of the premiere Koi breeder in the world and reported to me that he has seen as many as ten, 3 ft. long Koi in a 300 gallon **aquarium**. You CAN keep your Common Goldies and Comets in an aquarium, certainly easier than you can keep Koi in an aquarium.

From vast research what I have learned is that Goldies and Comets require the following to thrive in aquarium situations: Space to swim and stretch [although this does not have to be a 12 foot long aquarium or 5,000 gallon pond]. Optimum water - filtration flow should be roughly 10X aquarium capacity per hour; LIGHT STOCKING - aquarium-raised Koi require 100 gallons for 12" of fish as a bare minimum. Ideally, plan on roughly 1/2 that much for Goldies or Comets because they do not have the same mass/length that Koi have. IMHO from vast research, 100 gallons of highly filtered water [10X + per hour] for two adult Commons or Comets is the bare minimum to keep them healthy and happy; water changes adequate to keep Nitrogen Cycle parameters as close to 0 as possible [10-25% up to multiple times/week is common in Asia]; LIGHT FEEDING, which means only very high quality food and feed them for their health not your own amusement!

It can be argued that Common Goldies and Comets do better in pond situations. It can also be argued that ALL fish do better in natural habitats than they do in aquariums. :) The key to keeping any aquarium fish is to mimic Mother Nature as closesly as we can *within our reasonable abilites*, keeping the welfare of our fish in mind while we admit that keeping ANY fish in ANY glass cage is an unatural act in itself.

And one more thing while on the subject of Goldies and Comets... Please voice your strong opinion to store managers whose pet stores or department stores stock Goldies and Comets as "Feeder Fish". Ditto goes for state/local legislatures when banning Goldfish as carnival and fair prizes is on the table for debate. :)

Cheers! And thanks for this thread on one of my favorite subjects in the world.

CometKeeper

I really loved my goldfish - he was my gentle giant (with ryukins, oranda, black moor) so sad when he passed away ( he stressed too badly from ICH meds in tank and died next day) He was so calm with all the fancies, like their big protective brother...we all miss him....but yes, commons do grow very big and yes, he did gobble food pretty fast ...I was planning on giving him to a friend with an outdoor pond, but sadly he didn't make past his 3rd birthday. If you have space for them, I think they are a beautiful fish to watch, very active and entertaining!