Moss Ball And Goldies!

Guest VanillaOranda

Guest VanillaOranda

OK, so I went to my LFS to get a plant to help with my nitrates in my 10Gallon overloaded with goldies and brought home a MOSS BALL! :newfish (the lfs lady told me it wouldnt get eaten, I believed her)

since then, I have read the threads here about moss balls and the fact that they NEVER go with goldies cause the latter eat them. Well... sorry to be an exception to the rule again :blink: ... but my goldies are totally ignoring the thing. its 2" and totally healthy. is it cause I overcramp my fish into a 10G that they dont eat this?

here's a vid:

http://emilieanne.multiply.com/video/item/8

and also some different pics fow who doesnt believe its a 10Gal... a bit more believable here?

http://emilieanne.multiply.com/photos/photo/22/1

http://emilieanne.multiply.com/photos/photo/22/2

emilieanne

Every time that I have ever tried a Moss Ball,my goldfish would end up eating them.Sometimes it takes a bit,but they always did.I don't really think that 1 Mossball is going to help your Nitrate situation.You have 6 fish in a ten gal. tank.I think I mentioned in another thread that your only real option is daily water changes. :)

:) I's not really bad for the goldies at all as they love fresh salad! :rofl Like VM said,it's bad when you're trying to decorate your tank,and paying for these plants-which can be costly in some places,and your fish are chowing down on them. :D

i have had a big and a small moss ball in my goldie tank for nearly 6 months(?) now and they haven't eaten it. I think it depends on the size of the goldies, and their personalities! My goldies are small/medium, and gobble up their bite-size food, but dont munch on the moss balls or my anacharis. I see them try it now and then, but usually they just wander off. Maybe mine dont like the taste. Maybe they're just lazy!!!!

its not that i don't believe you, its just that my eyes decieve me or something. 6 fish of the size you mentioned in your other thread would simply fill a ten gallon more than in that picture, though I know, you gave the 10 measurment as well. Who knows.

I used to keep Java moss with my guppies but gave it away figuring the goldies would eat it... Now I wish I kept it... I could use the extra benefit of lowering nitrates...

I got mine on Ebay for about 3 bux (plus 3 shipping). The stuff is great - very hardy and it grows sooooo fast.

• 3 weeks later...

Your tank looks great, it probably looks so big because you don't have any decorations in the middle of the tank to impede on the goldfish swimming.

I was thinking of getting mossballs for my tank too, they're so cool looking, so it's good to hear that sometimes the goldfish won't eat them. I'd probably have to rearrange my decorations to allow more room for the ball to move when needed.

Nice goldies and good luck with your nitrates! :D