Sign in to follow this  
Kingyo

Tip For Magnetic Algae Scraper

Hi everybody!

This is a quick tip that may help all of you that use magnetic algae scrapers... the magnet on the outside of these cleaners has a smooth velvety surface that moves freely on the glass.

Problem: with time, the velvety surface slides out of the magnet leaving streaks of adhesive on the glass and making the cleaning task harder.

Solution: put the outside magnet inside a microfiber bag (for storing eye glasses). The magnet will glide easier on the glass! This will make your cleaning easier and extend the life of your algae scraper.

I hope you find this tip useful!

This post has been promoted to an article

:) I have not tried one of these magnetic scrapers, do they really work? Your tip sounds great though. I can see how you would want to avoid getting the adhesive on the glass. So it sounds like something to try if you use these scrapers.

That sounds like a really good tip! I can see how that would work well :D

I've used magnetic algae scrapers in the past and personally I don't get on too well with them, preferring to clean the inside and outside of the glass seperately.

Edited by mrbumblebee

I have one of those algae scrappers and I stopped using it as over time the scrapper part scratchs the glass on the inside of the tank.Any ideas for a solution to that prob ?

Nope all my tanks are glass but over time the scrapper wears down and thats when damage occurs.

Guest urbanangel85

Nope all my tanks are glass but over time the scrapper wears down and thats when damage occurs.

i had this problem too,but then i found a solution! if you use a magnet scraper meant for acrylic tanks,there much softer,and just as effective.try it,good luck.

Mine scratched the glass tank but realized it was because I had a minute bit of gravel stuck inbetween. The ones that float to the top of the tank when detatched are great to stop this happening.

I put a wax based furniture polish on the outside glass so the magnet cleaner glides smoothly. This also helps cleaning water spots.