Who Watches Your Fish?

I just moved out for college and right now I'm living alone. I really want to get roommates who will stay during the winter holidays so they can take care of my future fish. Hehe, sorry I'm so selfish...

I've been wanting to buy a nice 20-gallon tank for my place ever since I moved in. I miss having fish so bad. After thinking and preparing, I realized that I'm going to be gone for a month or more whenever my school goes on break (like in the winter and summer). I was contemplating having my neighbors feed the fish, but I don't know anyone too well yet.

So I was wondering, what do you guys do when you go on month-long holidays? Do you ask a neighbor to come by a couple times a week to feed your fish or do you try to set some type of automatic feeder up?

Hopefully I get some roommates soon who like to stay home and study. :D

The lfs sales person where I bought my goldies is looking after my fish when ever we go out of the country. But he wouldn't come home. We have to take our fish there and keep in one of his tanks and he looks after them until we get back. We sort of know the owner so it isn't a problem... :)

It sucks sometimes to have my family 400 miles away.

:exactly

Mine are 1200 miles away and I know no one here! Looking forward to moving back home so that they can take care of my zoo and I can go away longer than a week! :D

I have an Eheim fishfood server. It can be programmed to serve the desired number of times a day according to what time you set it for, and the aperature can be opened or closed to size to control the amount of food that goes into your tank. While it is safe to not feed for a week, I feel a bit better knowing that even a small amount of food being dropped into the tank will mean my pets are eating--and not each other.

I have an Eheim fishfood server. It can be programmed to serve the desired number of times a day according to what time you set it for, and the aperature can be opened or closed to size to control the amount of food that goes into your tank. While it is safe to not feed for a week, I feel a bit better knowing that even a small amount of food being dropped into the tank will mean my pets are eating--and not each other.

Hm, sounds interesting. I haven't seen much success with other automatic feeders (my friend had one and water splashed it and got everything really gross). Where'd you get yours Goldenlady? When I google, I seem to get every other product by Eheim.

Well, my stepson watches over the fish when we are gone - what rarely ever happens. Although he complains already that it takes him 40 minutes to feed all our fish. Is it my problem that he is so slow? :tomuch:

He is already stressed out by a little feeding, I dare don't ask him to do any water changes... :thud

i have my neighbors. i just put the food in a sunday thru saturday med container so they dont get over fed

That's exactly what I do. Not to mention a few large (50%) water changes for a couple of days before I leave.

So far, so good. *knocks on wood*

Yeah, I don't think I'll be going on any vacations longer than about 10 days. My neighbor is great about feedng them but I think water changes would be pushing it . . ..

I feed very lightly when I'm gone. And I'm quite understocked so I don't worry too much about going an extra few days without changing the water.

Hope it all works out for ya!!