New Goldfish Help

Guest gregthefish

Guest gregthefish

Hi there, could really do with some quick advice!

My wife was bought a fishtank recently, and today went out and bought some fish for it. Unfortunately she hadn't done any preparation, and after I read some sites, I've realised the mistake. Currently the fish are still in the bags supplied from the shop, but how are we best to proceed to keep them alive? My current thought is to let the tank temperature settle for a couple of hours and then put the fish in the tank still in the bag (with top open) - is this likely to cause a problem? Is there anything better I can do?

Help, please! I don't want to have an upset wife!

You CAN cycle the tank with fish in it. I always have, and if you keep on top of it, the fish will be fine.

What size tank, filter and how many fish did you get??

Do you have Prime or some dechlorinatior? Be SURE to use that!

Put one teaspoon of aquarium salt in per gallon, that will help destress the fish.

Fill the tank and let it come to room temp. Float the bags in the water which will help the temperatures of the water (both in the bag and in the tank equalize)

Guest gregthefish

Thanks for the tips so far. Our problem is that we don't have the right chemicals to get the water to the right state, and there will be nowhere open to get them from now. I don't want the poor things to just die, for both their sake, and my wife's!

Don't worry about the 10-gallon rule right now, the important thing is to keep those fish alive.

Are you in a big city? What's your water supply? It's a quick call to the City to find out exactly what they treat the water with, but that's no help on a Sunday. If they only use chlorine, you can agitate that out of the tank water with airation (bubble stone) and the filter running, over an hour or so. If it's got chlorine and chloramines, well those chloramines are the tricky one that definatly needs the treatment to remove.

Ya know, bbbb will definatly have something that would work to treat the water (gosh, I never thought I'd suggest going to there!).

Edited by GlassGoldfish

you said your wife set the tank up recently and you only bought the fish today? How long has the water been in the tank? If its been there for 24 hours the chlorine *i think* should have evaporated (someone correct me if I am wrong) or like someone else said agitation will do it.

I reckon your fish will be OK in the tank for today as long as you buy a water treatment tomorrow. (Prime is good).

Guest gregthefish

Thanks for all the help - they survived the night thankfully and all seem fine. I'll be making sure I'm reading every resource today and getting everything needed to ensure they're ok. Thanks again for the help.

:) Glad your fish made it through the night! Must have been stressful for you not knowing if they would be ok! I would make a list of the things that you need and get them as soon as possible! Your tank is small for four goldfish so you can either buy another tank that would be big enough for two of the fish or get a larger tank to keep all four together. I know its hard starting out with goldfish when you do not know how much room they need and you have already bought a tank that is too small. If buying another tank is not an option you might consider taking two of the fish back to the lfs and explain your situation.

Do get the "Prime" or whatever kind of water treatment you are going to use and test kits to check your water quality as this is so important. Your tank or tanks are not cycled and adding the fish will cause your ammonia levels to shoot up and that is very bad for the fish. Stay on top of your water changes and you and your fish will be fine.

Good luck and :welcome ! Hope to see you around and ask for as much help as you need.

I bought an aquarium thermometer and when I prepare the warm and cold water for my tank, I try to get the temperature in the fresh water to be at the same temerature as the existing tank. It spares the fish of a shock. Get a regular thermometer; I understand that the stick-on ones fade after a while. You don't have to keep the thermometer in the tank if you don't want to. I read about a fish that got so excited at feeding time that it broke the thermometer hanging against the glass with a hard wag of its tail. That created a crisis.

The test kits are expensive (to me), but they include everything. However, buying seperate tests for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH may end up costing more. For sure, every fish hobbiest has to have them. I didn't test water or change it enough for years, and I kept losing fish. I started keeping tropical fish almost 40 years ago off and on, and used to think it was the fish life cycle that explained the deaths. After so many deaths, I closed my tank up. But I missed an aquarium, and after a while I began with fancy goldfish. I wanted nice fish, so I was willing to invest a lot of money in them, so I began to study. I now know that balanced water and its purity is absolutely the most important thing to keeping your pets alive. Prime is highly recommended to dechlorinate, but some kind of dechlorinator is a must at water changes, as chlorine will kill your fish. Overstocking as you have is ok for now, but if they live, it won't be long before you will have to get a bigger tank. So you may want to return some of the fish or plan to buy another smaller aquarium and split your fish, or buy a bigger one to house them all together.

Treating your fish for disease after you get them is recommended. Since your fish all arrived at once, you can treat them in the same tank. I recommend getting some Prazi-Pro (It isn't overly expensive) to treat for flukes, a common problem for fish raised/kept in overcrowded commercial conditions. It's also recommended that you feed the fish with an antibiotic food like Medi-gold for at least 2 weeks during the medicinal treatment. The Medi-Gold can be bought from The Goldfish Connection and so can Pro-Gold, an excellent, balanced fish food. You may find something at the pet store, but personally I like to get supplies from fish experts. The Medi-Gold can be kept for the occasion when you have any kind of emergency where your fish are stressed, or if they should get an infection despite excellent water conditions (As I said, to keep their environment clean, you should do at least once-a-week water changes.) A tool to facilitate efficient water changes is nicer than having to dip out water every week.

Anyway, if you test your water until your tank cycles, treat the fish at the beginning with Prazi-Pro and medicated food as a preventative, keep changing your water and treating with Prime every week, and feed them with good quality food, but do not overfeed your fish, you should do very well and enjoy an attractive, tranquil visual addition to your room of a pretty tank with happy, gracefully moving fish.

Fish keeping is no different than having any other kind of pet. With dogs and cats, you have to inoculate them, buy licenses, buy food and toys, provide a bed, house them if you go on vacation and treat them if they get sick. Fishes are a lot quieter and can be responsive to you when you approach the tank, wiggling their little bodies in greeting in anticipation of a goodie, and they can be lots of fun to watch. Sometimes, they'll even play in the bubbles from the aeration bars you put in your tank. I had a Moor that did that. At first I thought it was accidental, but I noticed he habitually swam in and out of the flow--maybe it was intellectually stimulating, maybe he liked the way the bubbles felt...He was a very alert fish...so who knows. Most of my fish have not done that. Have fun with your fish buddies! :D