Billy - My New Calico Ranchu

Hi Guys, this is Billy my new Calico Ranchu. He is a bit of a rescue case as I really wasn't planning for another goldfish due to limited space in my own tank. Like Cyril my other newbie, he is going to be lodging in one of my Dad's tanks until I can get a larger tank setup myself.

Anyway, about Billy. I spotted him in a local pet superstore a few weeks ago in a tank with some other calico Ranchu-type goldies, he looked so happy and healthy and I remember thinking to myself that he was probably the best of the bunch.

Anyways, I went back again a couple of weeks ago to find a whole different story. He was in the same tank, but this time all alone and he didn't look nearly as well. He was a bit floaty and I noticed some flashing and scratching behaviour. Well, I couldn't help myself and I ended up buying him :rolleyes:

He's in my spare 10 gal tank, which I was keeping back for another Betta after losing Morris Dancer recently. Anyway, he had a starve, pea and poop treatment and has been in 0.3% salt for parasites, along with a fluke treatment and he has much improved! I'm going to give him a really long quarantine I think just to make sure he's clear.

I really love this little guy, he is the first Calico fish I've ever had and I have to say previously I wasn't too fussed about them, but I think this little guy is beautiful (well I would say that wouldn't I! :D ) Maybe not the most perfect Ranchu ever, but definately a cute fishie.

I like the fact he has one clear eye and one black, a little splodge of black on his head that looks like a wig and the fact he has a couple of gold metallic scales. He has a nice bit of wen growth going on too.

Just to say, the white stuff in the background of some of the shots is dried salted water on the outside at the back of the tank, where some water must have ran down from the hood. I didn't notice it until after I took the pictures :rolleyes: (I don't have use of a camera all of the time)

Picture019.jpg

Picture006-2.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture006-1.jpg

Edited by mrbumblebee

Look at that cute adorable little face you gotta love it.Can't wait to see pics when he gets his wen :)

Congrats on Billy hes gorgeous :exactly

Wow Bumble- you have yourself a stunner :exactly ! That is the cutest ranchu I have seen in a long time. Billys face is adoreable :D ! He looks nice and plump already and really very well. What a wonderful rescue, may he/she bring you many years of pleasure :heart

Thankyou guys! :D

Yeah, he is so much better now than when I first got him, he seems to be really thriving now. He's still only about one and half inches incuding tail but he has definately grown in the last couple of weeks.

Like all goldies he loves his food :rolleyes: and is starting to become more trusting now he's getting used to me. He was in a tank at the very top of a tall unit at the LFS, so I don't think he was too used to people looking in on him :)

Thanks Small Ranchu. Really? Oh, I suppose he could be a Lionhead then. I'm not too sure to be honest, I'm not too good at goldfish form. I did think more Ranchu than Lionhead myself though. He does have the start of some nice wen growth, not sure what will come of it though. You can't tell too well from the pictures but he does have quite a deep body and a steep back arch too, although the tail tuck aint as sharp as other Ranchu's I've seen to be fair. I'll have to wait and see how he turns out as he grows I suppose. I don't really mind what he is as long as he grows strong and healthy and has a good life :exactly

Edited by mrbumblebee

:) I think that Billy looks awesome.His face is allready the cutest,and I can allready picture him getting chubbier and filling out a lot more.He is going to be one adorable fish.Congrats!!! :heart

Guest happy2share

Billy has the sweet face of a seal! I find him/her completely mesmerizing. I keep coming back and viewing your post so I thought I should write to you and say you picked such a completely adorable fish! I smile every time I look at Billy! Please post more pics as Billy progresses! :heart:heart:heart

He is too cute! I love that face, how could you not? Calico Ranchus are my favorite of the ranchus, I saw one the other day I really wanted but I had to walk away, I promised myself I would only keep two fish in the 55 gallon. I would love to see some more pictures of Billy as he/she grows up!